Connect with us

HDMI pins

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by dinosquirrel, Nov 2, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. dinosquirrel

dinosquirrel

May 10, 2012
    Hi everyone, I've been looking on google and I don't quite know what to ask so I'm trying you guys.

I'm trying to build a special cable for HDMI. I know that the cable has 19 pins, but the addition of terms and "features" advertised for the newer cables leads me to believe that all of the pins aren't be used at all times. Essentially, I just want a cable that will carry 1080p and nothing else. I don't need the "ethernet" or audio and want to do away with the extra connectors and do away with the HDMI end.

I'm trying to modify the size of the connector so it's smaller, lighter, less likely to fall out or be touched/hit/damaged from the side of the camera.
    Using a Panasonic GH2 - mini HDMI on the side sticks out more than an inch and is worse than a sore thumb. We've broken a number of cables because they have SO MANY wires inside and bending breaks them so fast. I'm also concerned about the jack inside the camera as well - if the cable is taking a lot of stress I can only assume that the stress is being transferred the PCB in the camera as well.

My goal -
    To use minimum wires and possible a ribbon cable that I can form into a permanent non flexible cable using glue/epoxy. I also want to run a cable down the center of a pole (inside), so I need external connectors on that cable, hence the lessening the pinout.

So if anyone has knowledge about this, that would be great.

Thank you.

2. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    Why not just get a right angle HDMI connector?

That would cut it down to a minimal amount of sticking out, that was the first thing that came up so you can probably find better pricing, plus the quality will be better than something you would build

Ask a Question