Maker Pro
Maker Pro

HDMI Cable EMI compliance performance

morzh

Jul 7, 2020
Hi!

It seems as my device is currently failing Radiated EMI certs when the HDMI cable is plugged in. Even Ferrites don't help much, according to the tech who tested it.
We have supplied thecable and it is your standard inexpensive 6' cable

I've done some reading on the issue and it seems like HDMI cables are a known EMI offenders' category.
I have also looked at the PCB remedies and I have found none: it does not look as if anyone uses any CM chokes such as they use for USB and such on HDMI lines. All I see is ESD protection which I have.

So, what I am looking for is:

1. A cable (6' is ok) reommendation by name: a know good EMI performer.
2. Any known working solutions that can be put on PCB to attenuate any intererence that would come out of HDMI cable.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Can you be more specific to the interference you are receiving?.
What and how is the interference doing and affecting?

Martin

morzh

Jul 7, 2020
Martin

I am yet to find out what frequencies it peaks at; I was told there are a few: 250MHz, 600-something MHz and such.
I cannot be more specific other than in what I have already said: radiated EMI, only when the cable is plugged.
It is a certification so it does not affect anything, other then getting registered by Rode-n-Schwarz and failing the certs.
I bought bunch of High speed cables with supposedly good reviews and sent them over to the labs; will see how they fare.