Connect with us

Hardware For Voltage Controlled Switchgear

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Lightning, Feb 16, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Lightning

Lightning

Oct 12, 2013
    Hello All,

I am trying to replace some basic switchgear with a homemade Bluetooth controller circuit. The Bluetooth module I have is connected via UART to a microcontroller and the switches I want to control should then be activated from individual digital output pins on the microcontroller.

The problem I am having is selecting the hardware to do the switching that is controlled from the digital output pins of the microcontroller, essentially I'm looking for a voltage controlled switch.

Relays have the perfect electrical characteristics but I would like to keep the physical profile small as well.

I like the idea of using a 4066 bi-lateral switch chip but the R-on seems rather high for a switch (125ohm) and I don't like the idea of messing with the impedance of the connected system too much, as I would like to keep my retro-fit as close to the characteristics of the original switches that I am replacing.

Some sort of on-chip solid-state relay sounds like a good option but I was wondering if there were any other options that I could consider?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you.

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    What you have presented is a bit meager. We need more information.
    • Which voltage and currents (AC, DC?) do you need to switch?
    • Do you need isolation (e.g. for safety)?
    • What is the max. size (w*l*h) you can accept? How many channels?
    • What is the max. Ron you can accept?
    Relays come in many sizes, even very small ones.

3. Lightning

Lightning

Oct 12, 2013
    Hi Harald,

Thanks for your rely.

Yes I can appreciate that, I am just looking to see if there are other methods that I haven't considered.
    • I am working with 12v DC switching, I am unsure of the exact current but it will not be much e.g. 10mA.
    • I shouldn't need any sort of isolation beyond, for instance, a simple plastic cover or the default package isolation.
    • Max size, I am looking for a simple 8 pin DIL through-hole package sort of volume, per channel.
    • I am looking for one channel at the moment to prove my concept but I will be using upwards of five at later iterations.
    • Ideally I am looking to vaguely imitate a normal switch so I think under 10 ohms would be acceptable.
    Yes, I have come across some reed relays since I first posted, that are the sort of size I am looking for. I'm surprised I haven't found any MEMS based ICs, they seem to be all semiconductor based.
    Correct me if I am wrong, I might be looking in the wrong places.

Thanks.

4. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    What I meant is isolation between the controlling side and the controlled side, Such as a relay offers inherently.

You may want to have a look at photomos 'relays', essentially photocouplers with a bi-directional output stage.

5. Lightning

Lightning

Oct 12, 2013
    Hi Harald,

Ah, I misunderstood, I though you meant user-isolation as oppose to circuit isolation. This isn't a requirement of the system, so it gives me a bit more scope as to what I can use.

I did consider traditional photocouplers, although what you have presented (bi-directional photomos) seems like a good alternative, and looking at some of these datasheets, they have a much lower on-resistance, and a small physical profile to top it off.

Having considered this it may also be possible to have an LDR based photocoupler if I can find a sensor with enough resistance swing, also giving me a nice linear bi-directional output. I will need to do some more experiments with the system I want to couple to, in order to see if this is possible.

Thank you for that idea.

Ask a Question