Connect with us

Hard Drive setup question

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by kwdelre, Aug 7, 2009.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. kwdelre

kwdelre

Aug 5, 2009
    Hope I'm in the right place here. Recently I have had two hard drives crap out on me in a two week period. They were both simpletech external hardrives, same model. I am wondering if what I did recently would have an effect on them. here is how I have them set up:

Several hardrives are all plugged into a power strip. I didn't want them all on at the same time so I build a switch box. I cut one wire from the adapter and soldered it to the switch. Everything works. So it goes from A/C to D/C and stops at the switch.

Power Strip > Adapter (wall wart) > Switch >Hard Drive

Could turning the power on and off in this manner effect the hard drive? Thanks for any input here.

2. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Did you test to see if it's the actual HD or if it could be the wall warts being defective?
    Anything is possible but it's unlikely that the switching in itself would matter. The only thing with this scheme is that the power adapters are powered at all times, gaining running time which will ultimately wear them out. I've seen adapters fail in as little as 6 months. Try to Google for reliability issues with these.

3. neon

neon

Oct 21, 2006
    you relly do not want to stop a drive while it is spinning and also turn them on. you are going to loose data very fast this way

4. kwdelre

kwdelre

Aug 5, 2009

What do you mean by this? I do "Eject" the hard drive before turning it off.

I may have located the problem though. On the same outlet I have a lamp that you turn on by touching. Every now and then the light will come on by itself. Also, recently my suround soud reciever pooped out and I found a capacitor or some other element blown up. Add two hard drives down, I think I may have some stray spikes coming in that outlet, right? Well stupid me didn't have a surge protector on them......I do now though.

5. kwdelre

kwdelre

Aug 5, 2009

Yeah I tried with different adapters, it is definitly the HD. So in this setup the adapters are more at risk?

6. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Too bad..
    Well, yes, but it's just a matter of running time.
    I have a USB HD with a switch in the case but I always unplug the PSU after I switch off
    the HD. I already fixed it once after my bro gave it to me after it gave in after continous use. The cap's were blown.
    I guess "spikes" or dropouts to your PSU's could have made them surge the power to the HD.

Ask a Question