Connect with us

Handlebar Grips Project. Help needed!

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by piggywig23, Oct 17, 2012.

1. piggywig23

piggywig23

Oct 17, 2012
    Hi guys,

I'm currently doing a major project for my Industrial Design course. I've come up with this idea of heated handlebar grips for bicycles, it's very early days so I'm just trying to gage how feasible this project is. My electronics knowledge is fairly limited so I'm after some guidance.

Basically I'd like the grips to be heated to a warm temperature by the actual motion of the bike through the use of dynamos and generators but I'm not sure if enough watts could be generated just through the motion of the wheel or the pedals alone. I know this works fairly well with LED lights.

The alternative to this is to charge the handlebar grips up by USB, but this is more hassle to for the user so I'd really like to make it powered by the bike even though this is probably near impossible...Any help would be much appreciated guys!

2. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    USB specs limit power to about 1A @ 5V, so maybe 5 Watts... Your hand will warm the grip faster... Also not sure what you mean though by powering it from USB, maybe you mean battery powered? USB is a serial communications protocol, the fact that you can tap the 5V leads for power is being exploited but it's not the purpose of it...

As for a generator, not saying it's not possible but you will significantly increase the peddle load trying to obtain a enough power to actually create a decent amount of heat...

Ask a Question