Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Hammond organ power cord replacement help

deathbymissadventure

Apr 20, 2010
I recently acquired an old Hammond organ from a friend. He said it worked fine, but the power cord was missing the tip. Replacing it should make everything all happy and good. As I do not know much about electronics, I asked another well-intentioned friend to help me. He said he could fix it, so I said "great." After the tip was replaced, the organ seemed to work and sound was coming out. After a while it became quieter and finally the sound vanished. It works erratically. So, we checked things out and it looks as if the friend replaced the tip with a 125v tip. The actual organ is 120v. Is the whole thing ruined now? If not, what type of tip should we use? Any help is dearly appreciated.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Are you talking about the power plug?

If so, as long as you're plugging it into the correct voltage power socket, you should be fine (i.e. not 220V)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
As long as it's the right plug, and is legal to use wherever you are, and is wired up correctly; no it won't matter.

mooginnyc

Feb 3, 2010
What kind of Hammond? Are there tubes on the amplifier? I had a similar problem with my L-100, and reseating the tubes fixed it.

jerryg50

Apr 18, 2010
Electronic Misic Instrument Service

I recently acquired an old Hammond organ from a friend. He said it worked fine, but the power cord was missing the tip. Replacing it should make everything all happy and good. As I do not know much about electronics, I asked another well-intentioned friend to help me. He said he could fix it, so I said "great." After the tip was replaced, the organ seemed to work and sound was coming out. After a while it became quieter and finally the sound vanished. It works erratically. So, we checked things out and it looks as if the friend replaced the tip with a 125v tip. The actual organ is 120v. Is the whole thing ruined now? If not, what type of tip should we use? Any help is dearly appreciated.

The power cord and tip (plug) are not critical. The only criteria is that you are using an approved replacement plug.

Most likely because of the age of the organ it would require proper servicing. Over time and with use electronic components can have wear like anything else.

For servicing your organ it would be best to have someone who specializes in electronic musical instrument service. This way you will have it serviced properly with the proper parts, and it should work well. When servicing the music instrument technician should be able to make sure it is properly on key and is sounding to specs.

Jerry G.