Connect with us

Hall effect part suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by sndscientist, Dec 3, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. sndscientist

sndscientist

Jul 10, 2013
    what i am looking for is a simple non latching hall effect transistor. output current isn't important nor is voltage. these are destined for a position selector switch. a carbon magnet will be fixed to a shaft that will pass by 6 points, i need to know at which point the shaft is. it is not a rotary shaft so a rotary encoder is out, and i really don't want to deal with optics. what i am looking for are part numbers for simple non latching hall effects. looking at the A3144's but i can find almost no information about their operation, some places say they are switches, some places claim they are latches and google is about useless unless you want to hook it up to an arduino. as are all of my projects this is a stand alone no micro-processor/programming involved project..

2. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    You should be using the A1104 device as a replacement for the now obsolete A3144. The A1104 has a single NMOS output transistor as an open drain. This sensor is not a latch type as it has a BRP (release point). The A3144 has a BJT output stage instead of a NMOS and a BRP so this device is not a latch type. I expect there are other differences between the two, you would have to go through the datasheets to check. You might have already done some work using the A3144 I don't know.

Adam

3. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    I use allegro A1120 EUA-T for ignition systems sensor for model engines.
    Open drain output, rail to rail switching.
    I use a 10K resistor from signal to positive rail and tap off to the ign (your circuit) from there.
    Important to use 0.01uF cap (small as you can get) right on the power supply lines of the hall chip.
    Works from around 3.3v up to over 24v if I remember.
    As magnets, I use rare earth 3mm dia * 1mm thick placed approx 2mm gap.
    There will be many others that can do what you want I expect.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  4. sndscientist

sndscientist

Jul 10, 2013
    Thanks guys, I'll look into those. I appreciate it

5. Colin Mitchell

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
    Pull apart a computer fan and get the hall effect "switches"

Ask a Question