Connect with us

Hacking a microwave oven

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Al Kidder, Nov 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Scroll to continue with content
  1. Al Kidder

Al Kidder

Nov 7, 2015
    1st of all, I'm not an electronics hobbyist. I'm a cooking hobbyist.I have a problem which involves electronics and I am far too unmotivated to learn for myself all about electronics.So maybe somebody here can solve the problem.

This is the problem. I have not managed to find a convection microwave oven which allows me independent control over the 3 functions, microwave power, oven temperature, and grill temperature. But that is what I want to do, set my own values for the 3 variables. That will make the oven much more useful to me.

So I'm hoping that somebody here can help me out, either by hacking a microwave oven for me to give me the independent controls, for which, obviously, I will pay you; or by telling me if there is a business operating in the Sydney/Wollongong area that does that sort of thing for a living.

2. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    I doubt you will find anyone with the experience and know-how will even consider such a task.
    Microwaves can be lethal.
    Not the type of thing one hacks.

3. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    I would agree with bluejets
    I seriously doubt you would find some one who could or is prepared to
    play with a microwave oven like this

Dave

4. ramussons

ramussons

Jun 10, 2014
    The microwave oven has presets ( i guess that's what you are referring to) that are programmed in a chip. You will have to re program / replace those chips.

5. Al Kidder

Al Kidder

Nov 7, 2015
    Isn't it possible to make a separate controller unit for each function? I really mainly just want to control the oven temperature while the microwave does its work.
    I can't see why you think that microwaves are lethal. I'm not planning to run it with the door open.

6. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    One does not hack microwave devices, period.
    Do a search on microwaves and the effects.
    To be precise, your hacking could open any number of cans of worms, any of which could land you in deep trouble.

7. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    because there are also lethal voltages present inside and for some one not knowing what they are doing
    death could come swiftly

8. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    And let me add: ...possibly even with the power cord removed.

davenn likes this.
  9. Al Kidder

Al Kidder

Nov 7, 2015
    When I take the housing off a microwave oven it seems to have a separate wire running to the magnetron from what runs to the griller and the heating element. So what I am envisaging doing is leaving that wire and circuitry intact but adding a controller for each of the other 2 components. I really can't see why that would be a hazardous arrangement. I can't even see it overloading a domestic circuit with a 1 kW magnetron and 1 1/2 kW oven operating together.
    Personally, I think the design of the microwave oven is hopeless. All of them have the magnetron operating from the side of the cavity so that cooking proceeds in a lateral fashion. If it was located so that it is beaming at an angle into the cavity I am sure it would work better just as a microwave.
    And if you could control the oven temperature and the griller beyond the presets that the manufacturers allowed, you would have a much more versatile instrument to play with in the kitchen.

10. dorke

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
    Al,
    Cooking wise,(all? )chefs never use a Microwave oven for cooking,
    If it all, they use it to warm things and perhaps defrost.
    I'm sure you can find plenty of regular "smart ovens" to do what you need.

For your own good,
    You should never even think about opening the lid of the Micro !:eek:
    The famous sticker: "Only for Qualified Persons"
    is totally justified in the case of a Microwave ...

11. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    .That's pretty irrelevant with the way the microwaves bounce around inside and adding to that the rotating platter
    everything gets a pretty even dose of microwaves

12. Al Kidder

Al Kidder

Nov 7, 2015
    Actually, I have discovered that it doesn't produce even cooking by virtue of cooking a tofu tart using a microwave. The outsider was cooked before the centre was done. The same problem occurs if you are cooking a cake using a microwave (yes, why would you do that?.... Why wouldn't you do that?).
    That is why I think that beaming in the microwaves from an angle would be an instant improvement.

So how would I go if I bought 2 microwave ovens and disconnected the grill and the oven function on one, then just ripped the controller out of the other and used that controller, by wiring it into the grill and the oven element to provide me with my semi-independent controls. I'm guessing that my biggest risk would be just blowing the houses fuse. I'm also guessing that the magnetron might not work so well as it gradually heats up from the ovens temperature via conduction through the body.

13. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Yeah, other than death, that's probably it.

14. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Did you read any of the warnings in this thread? There are lethal voltages in a microwave oven even when it is not plugged in. I would not take apart a microwave oven until it had been disconnected from power for about a month.

Bob

15. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    He's not listening.......o_O

16. Externet

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
  17. chopnhack

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
    This video is from our friend that brought us the 'scariac'!
    Beware...

Supercap2F and CDRIVE like this.
  18. Al Kidder

Al Kidder

Nov 7, 2015
    Yes. I know. But none allow me independent control of the 3 functions. They are all on presets.

19. Externet

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
    Unsure to believe that only works with presets. There is a numeric keypad to enter cook time. Download the manual and confirm. From what I read, does what you believe does not.
    Any other model that may only work in cooking combination, could be hacked by just turning off the heating element, or the fan, or the magnetron transformer primary with added switches to the cabinet side.

I trick mine to use it as 'egg timer' or whatever timer with NO cooking going on. I select 'power 0' and enter time on the pad, start. Beeps when time lapses out. There may be a way playing with controls.

Ask the store to demonstrate the product for your needs.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  20. rickselectricalprojects

rickselectricalprojects

Feb 1, 2015
    [​IMG]
    that's the kind of power microwave transformer have.
    i wouldn't really recommenced trying to hack a microwave.

davenn likes this.
Ask a Question