Maker Pro
Maker Pro

GY6 AC/DC Reg/Rect - Are Both DC and AC regulated or just AC?

12VGuy

Apr 6, 2018
I have picked up a couple of these cheap and chearful GY6 regulator rectifiers and can't find a data sheet on them for the usual reasons.

I was wondering if anyone knew if the DC is regulated as well are rectified or just rectified?
Also if regulated is that 12V or is that higher due to RMS so maybe 1.4x12 ?
Also wondering how much Wattage I could take from just the DC side? I read somewhere there is an expectation of 20/80 split biased toward AC in the expectation of the AC powering headlamp.
Also wondering if there is a problem in not loading the AC side at all and just drawing from the DC. Read somewhere that it may kill the unit if no load?
The scenario is to take AC from a motorcycle magneto and convert to DC for LED lighting but I also want to ensure the DC voltage is regulated.

Thanks
Allan

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I'm not familiar with gy6 regulator rectifiers. Do you have a link?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I would say 12V and DC.

Why you would use one for a headlight is beyond me

12VGuy

Apr 6, 2018
I would say 12V and DC.

Why you would use one for a headlight is beyond me
The thought was power dissipation and was one of the questions I had..

Also wondering how much Wattage I could take from just the DC side? I read somewhere there is an expectation of 20/80 split biased toward AC in the expectation of the AC powering headlamp.

I have no clue on how much power I can draw from this cheap device before it becomes a firework.
The AC headlight is currently 35w. taillight is 27+5. Then there is the horn 7W I think, Indicators 17w each so x2.
So braking turn and leaning on the horn would be about 120W and I think the magneto is good for 75-100 ish.
LED will bring that all down but still was thinking that the circuits are currently separate (headlight AC and charging DC).
If I don't need to use two. Then great I have spare

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Any load greater than that which can be provided for by your magneto will come from the battery.

The battery will be recharged when the load reduces so the magneto has spare capacity.

12VGuy

Apr 6, 2018
Any load greater than that which can be provided for by your magneto will come from the battery.

The battery will be recharged when the load reduces so the magneto has spare capacity.

My concern was overloading the cheap reg/rec with 75w drawn from the mag if the unit can only handle 50.
Figured I would split the load between the two circuits as that is how they are separated in the harness.

Was hoping to ditch the battery with a super-capacitors. But that's a whole other topic.
Thanks for the advice.
Allan

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
The cheap Chinese regulator has no spec's. Post a video of it smoking then blowing up.