Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Guitar Dilemna

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
I bought one of those DIY bass guitar kits off the auction site.
It came with instructions on how to wire it, and when i did, I was not happy with the response of the controls, so I rewired it like a download sheet I got off of one of the guitar pickup manufacturers.
It worked better, but the buttons still didn't do what they should have.
if you know anything about guitars/basses-
The bass is a PJ that means it is a clone of the Fender Basses(Freddy Fender the Meixican?) "Precision" - "Jazz" P-J
The precision transducer is a performance bass that delivers a dead thump with lots of sustain.
The jazz transducer is a studio bass that delivers a rounded out low hum that is not so dominant.

The instructions were very clear, and no promises were made in the mixing of the two pickups into one guitar. I was trying to get the volumes to work for each pickup, and the tone to work with both of them, when I broke one of the cheap plastic button shafts off clean with the pot.

I have ordered two new pots "Bjornes" trial tested for years by pros.
I am working on my circuit and will share it as I go.

I want to build something that works and that anyone can use, because there are so many bassists with this same problem. There are no toggle switches, 3 pots, 2 pickups, and 1 output. very simple circuit, shouldn't have me so fumbly.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
My suggestion is to buy the best quality parts you can get. Just ask here for recommendations on particular
components. A lot of el-cheapo parts work ok at first (some even don't do that), but the cheap parts wear-out
and break too quickly, which will cause a lot of aggravation later.
It sounds like your circuits need some tweaking to get them the way you want them, but your whole enterprise
will be a lot better off in the long run if you start with high quality parts.
Good luck on the project.