Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Guitar Amp Modification

johnlovesbeer

Aug 24, 2017

Hi all!

I have a Bugera 6262 all valve guitar amplifier that I've had for some years now.

The amp has 2 channels, clean and lead which can be changed by push buttons on the front panel or more preferably by the supplied footswitch.

The clean channel also has a CRUNCH button on the front panel which IS NOT foot switchable.

The supplied footswitch has 4 pedals; CLEAN, LEAD, REVERB, FX LOOP.

What I want to do is use the FX LOOP pedal on the footswitch to control the CRUNCH button on the clean channel and hopefully leave the FX loop permanently on.

I know this mod can be done because I've seen a demo on YouTube but there is no info on how it was done.

I have the wiring schematic but I can't read it. I'm great with a soldering iron and with the right instructions I'm happy to do this myself.

I do know that the footswitch cable and input jack are 5 pin, I'm guessing a "live" to each pedal and a common ground for all.

The crunch switch on the amp front panel is either a momentary or latching switch (I’m not sure which) with 6 pins.

In theory I believe I can open the circuit for the FX loop at the cable input jack on the back of the amp then run a wire from that pin to one of the pins on the non-ground side of the crunch switch.

Does that sound correct to anyone and if so how do I determine which pin to use on the switch?

All advice appreciated!

Cheers, John.

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
Crunch is a transwave synthesizer form, it has been a fairly well kept secret for a long long time, because it is called crunch guitar, but its not really guitar, its synthesized. What your crunch button does, is turns on a chip that has the synthesizer sound on it. then re-routes the signal through the chip making the pwa pwa sound. I don't know but in the 80's people lost the "need" for patented sounds, and everybody copied the great sounds... my recording studio has all of them in it as effects, I can sound like a Gibson amp or a Fender amp or even a Crate amp. The effects are built in... I would say, a foot switch that popped in some crunch licks would be well worth the price of a good electronics genius... but I'm not that guy!