Connect with us

GSM and 3G Communication Modules

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by JimL86, May 5, 2018.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. JimL86

JimL86

Nov 13, 2017
    Hey all,
    I am currently working on a project that needs to implement some sort of mobile communication.
    In summary, my system consists of sensors and actuators and I need a way to transfer this data from the system to the "customer" (This data can be sent via an arbitrary SMS message..).
    I would like to use some GSM module - but I can not find anything that would be of low cost in production (I am familiar with development boards like SIM900 but they are way too expensive and of big sizes).

So could you please suggest what people are using (what modules) for this kind of tasks? Is this communication method is the preferred one - or maybe I should use a 3G module for transferring the data over the Internet? If so, what are the benefits and shortcoming in everyone on them?

Your help is really appreciated!
    Jim.

2. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
  3. JimL86

JimL86

Nov 13, 2017
  4. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    If you have a specific requirement for internet access then, yes, 3G would be required.

5. JimL86

JimL86

Nov 13, 2017
    You've got any suggested links? :)

6. Hopup

Hopup

Jul 5, 2015
    You don't necessarily need 3G for that. You can use chip like sim900 to upload web server.

7. JimL86

JimL86

Nov 13, 2017
    Thank you very much!

Ask a Question