Connect with us

Ground plane PCB

Discussion in 'PCB Layout, Design and Manufacture' started by champ1, May 20, 2022.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. champ1

champ1

Jul 17, 2018
    Hi,
    I don't know how to read PCB's layout. As you see an image, I am not able to understand which is a conductor and which is a non-conductor. I don't know which is ground plane
    images (37).jpeg

2. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    Conductors connect individual components on the board to create the circuit.

The ground plane is (usually) the largest area of 'whole' copper and electrically connected to ground - as such it may connect to many of the individual component parts themselves too.

3. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    You can see which are traces, (conductors), they connect to component pins.

4. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    In your image, the bare pcb carrier material looks dark, the traces (connections) look light green. That is because the copper underneath the solder mask (green lacquer) reflects the incoming light, making these parts brighter than the less reflecting carrier material.

A ground plane is a conductor like any other, but typically in the form of large areas, not thin traces. In your image, however, you see multiple planes. Obviously these are used to carry high currents. Which of these is the ground plane? The one that connects to ground (GND, 0 V), of course ;). Likely, but not necessarily, the one I marked here:
    upload_2022-5-21_8-54-20.png

Ask a Question