Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Ground control to major tom

SparkyCal

Mar 11, 2020
I have a nagging question about grounding, that I can’t get my head around. I have watched a
Few videos and still don’t get it.

Here is my dilemma.

On a 9 volt battery, I know that the negative pole is ground. On a breadboard, I k ow that the negative rail, which usually runs to a neGative battery terminal or negative power supply is ground. I also get the notion that things have to go to ground to close a circuit loop.

I don’t understand how a steel casing can serve as ground. So, sometimes I hear people say that they connect a wire to a outer steel casing, and that serves as ground. I don’t understand why. Can anyone suggest how to think about this.?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Ground does not have to be your negative supply rail. Indeed, with op-amps it is usual to have a double ended power supply with the 0V rail the ground.

Ground is typically connected to shields on cables, so it is important that they can all be connected together without causing problems.

Since the shielding on cables is frequently grounded, a steel case may similarly be grounded to act as a shield. It could be connected to some other supply rail, but then you would risk shorts if the metal case came into contact with something that was grounded. (It could also be a shock hazard).

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
On a 9 volt battery, I know that the negative pole is ground.

there's your first mistake .... it's the negative terminal of the battery, no more no less

On a breadboard, I k ow that the negative rail, which usually runs to a neGative battery terminal or negative power supply is ground.

Again incorrect see above

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
I have a nagging question about grounding, that I can’t get my head around. I have watched a
Few videos and still don’t get it.

I am not surprised, as the term Ground is currently used, there are a few miss-used terms and connotations, Chassis ground? Earth ground? Power Common? Logic Common etc.
Not only that, but the Earth GND symbol is often used to denote a power common.
When you look at most typical schematics, it is not clear as to whether the Common is earth grounded, or not ? Due to the wrong symbol used.
If a plane is not Earth grounded, I prefer the term 'Power Common'
M.

Attachments

• GroundObjects.jpg
    GroundObjects.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 11

SparkyCal

Mar 11, 2020
Hi folks: Thanks for the info. I'm not surprised that i was wrong- that's why i asked ;-)

I'm nit sure I am totally clear yet. Let me formulate my thoughts and i will come back to this.

kpatz

Feb 24, 2014
In electronics, "ground" is the 0V reference that other voltages are relative to. In many cases, it's the negative rail of the power supply or the negative terminal of the battery.

For circuits with more than one power rail, the "ground" or common or 0V rail is the common "ground" that the other voltages are measured relative to, and they could be positive or negative. A computer might have a +5V and a +12V rail, both relative to ground (if you measured between the 5V and 12V rails, you'd probably get 7V). Some circuits (op-amp circuits commonly) have +/- power supplies with a 0V in the middle, so for example, +/-15V. The rails would be +15V and -15V relative to ground, and if you measured rail to rail, you'd get 30V.

Then there's grounds for shielding and safety grounds used in electrical wiring, which are also considered to be 0V and connected to earth and/or the metal case or shield.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
...And to throw another in, there is equi-potential bonding (earth grounding) of industrial systems to prevent "Ground Loops".
A ground loop is a ground conductor or part of a grounded system that may have a difference in potential between one point and another. which is not desirable.
M.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Perhaps a little history will help...

Here in America, back in the ancient past (April 1861), there was (briefly) a postal letter-delivery system that basically consisted of a chain of outpost stations in the middle of nowhere, each with a corral of fresh ponies (horses). A rider with a pouch of letters for delivery would hop on a horse at the beginning outpost station and ride like hell to the next outpost station, where he would change to a fresh horse (or pony) and continue on his journey to the next outpost station. This was repeated about every ten miles for a total ride of about one hundred miles, whereupon a fresh rider was handed the mail pouch and continued the journey. All this riding was conducted through sometimes hostile Indian territory and with the possibility of encountering other miscreants intent on robbing and/or killing the rider. It was called the Pony Express. It lasted until October 1862 and could deliver a letter in about ten days from Missouri to California. The Pony Express was eclipsed and soon went out of business when the first Intercontinental Telegraph was completed. It was expensive to send a letter by telegram (they charged per word!) but even more expensive to a send a letter by Pony Express!

Other than the wages paid to telegraph operators at each end of the telegraph line, the most capital intensive part of a telegraph line was the copper wire strung on glass insulators between telegraph posts. This was bare copper wire, hence the need for the glass insulators, and the posts kept the wire high enough above the ground so it wouldn't get snagged by passers by.on horses. However, every electrical circuit (which a telegraph is) requires two wires connected to a source of electrical power, such as a rechargeable battery. Running a pair of wires over intercontinental distances for just one telegraph circuit would have been prohibitively expensive, but it was soon discovered that the Earth itself was sufficiently conductive to serve as the second wire of the complete circuit. This wire naturally became known as the "ground" wire since it was connected to a copper or steel rod driven into the ground at each telegraph station. Hence the origin of "Earth ground" for any electrical connection that returns to the Earth.

There is more to the story than what I have described here. Sometimes Earth grounds are used to carry significant amounts of current to deliver energy to electrical loads. The amount of power involved can be just a few watts to hundreds of kilowatts. If more than one Earth ground is involved, the corresponding currents can cause a potential difference between two Earth grounds, sometimes large enough to be felt. This is particularly a problem with dairy farms where "faults" of this nature can cause milk cows to avoid the milking barn for fear of getting shocked. The electrical utility often could care less about solving the problem.

SparkyCal

Mar 11, 2020
Hevans..thanks for that.

So ground is not necessarily a terminal. It is a thing that allows a circuit's need for a second connection and reference point?

kpatz

Feb 24, 2014
So ground is not necessarily a terminal. It is a thing that allows a circuit's need for a second connection and reference point?
Correct. It's a concept as much as it's a tangible thing.

Another place where "ground" is used is in vehicles, where the metal body of the vehicle is (usually) connected to the negative terminal of the battery/electrical system and acts as the return path for all the circuits, greatly reducing the amount of wire needed to complete circuits.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Perhaps a little history will help...

If more than one Earth ground is involved, the corresponding currents can cause a potential difference between two Earth grounds, sometimes large enough to be felt. .
With ref to post #8, hence, equi-potential bonding!.;)
M.