Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Greetings from Florida

Richar

May 1, 2014
Hello all,

Newbie to electronics here. For years I have wanted to learn how to repair my own electronics perhaps put together a few. I have tried several books like "Teach Yourself Electricity and Electronics" by Gibilisco, but life always gets in the way. Are there any books out there you can recommend that reads more like coursebook? Perhaps something more hands on.

Thank you,

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
Hello all,

Newbie to electronics here. For years I have wanted to learn how to repair my own electronics perhaps put together a few. I have tried several books like "Teach Yourself Electricity and Electronics" by Gibilisco, but life always gets in the way. Are there any books out there you can recommend that reads more like coursebook? Perhaps something more hands on.

Thank you,
Hi Richar I am newbie around here too, there is a good sticky link by Steve with a number of recommendations.
https://www.electronicspoint.com/threads/book-reviews.251799/
I just hit up the library and got two of them: The Art of Electronics and Practical Electronics for Inventors

So far in reading Practical... I have finally learned in which direction electrons move in a circuit and that current is actually moving contrary to the electron flow.. wierd, huh?! Don't be afraid of it, but the first 250+ pages are theory and then they introduce the components. The book tells you though to not get hung up on the math as they teach you other methods latter that work around the inability to do the calc. etc. Let me know what books you find and if you like any of them, good luck!

Supercap2F

Mar 22, 2014
Hey Richar! Welcome to the forums!

The best book for a newbie that I have seen is Make Electronics. Next I would read Getting Started in Electronics by Forrest M. It explains how A bunch of different components work. If you get in to robotics I would read Junkbots, Bugbots & Bots On Wheels by Dave Hrynkiw and Mark W. Tilden. The Cmos Cookbook by Don Lancaster is very good book on ICs. Op-amp Circuits and Principles by Howard M. Berlin Is very good book on op-amps is does need some higher math though.

Hope I have helped

Dan

P.S. I have listed these book from simplest to most complex. So I would read them in that order. If you read them at all.

Richar

May 1, 2014
Thanks guys. I will look into these and get back to you.

Richar

May 1, 2014
I think the two books below would be great to start with. What do you guys think about "Practical Electronics for Inventors"?

Practical Electronics for Inventors,
Getting Started in Electronics

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The reviews on it are pretty good. Note the advice NOT to get the Kindle version!

Having seen the reviews, I'd try to find a copy in a library (or somewhere) and decide for myself if it was what I wanted. I looked at "The Art of Electronics" several times (along with many other books) before I decided it was the one I wanted.

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
I think the two books below would be great to start with. What do you guys think about "Practical Electronics for Inventors"?

Practical Electronics for Inventors,
Getting Started in Electronics

I got my version of Forrest Mim's "Getting Started..." when I was a kid- it is a great introductory - it actually opened the world of electronics to me. I still have it - all the pages have since gone orange. The discussion of electron flow in an atom is dated compared to modern quantum mechanics, which "Practical..." describes briefly. Buy "Getting Started..." if you can, borrow "Practical..." and see if you can make it through the entire book.

Richar

May 1, 2014
Great, thank you all for helping me decide. I think I am going with chopnhack's last suggestion.