Connect with us

Gradually switching a FET ON

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by eem2am, Mar 23, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. eem2am

eem2am

Aug 3, 2009
    Hello, i periodically (every 10 minutes) need to switch a fet on (ON for 1 minute) which delivers 400mA current from the secondary of a current transformer.

The primary contains a 50KHz sinusoidal current (2A9 Average), which is produced by a highly resonant LC tank circuit.

Because of the resonant nature, i cannot simply and suddenly switch the switch from OFF to ON (because it would excite resonances in the resonant system)......but instead i must PWM the switch ON/OFF/ON...etc until its ON all the time....so i must gradually increase the dutcy cycle from 0 to 100%, until its ON all the time.

I need the gradual switching interval to be 5ms.

Do you know of a way of doing this?

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Can you place an inductor in series with the mosfet to limit di/dt to a reasonable value?

Of course this will also affect how you switch it off. You can either place a diode across the inductor to dump the energy when the mosfet is switched off, or you can place a diode across the entire load and the inductor to allow current to flow until it decays.

Re-reading this again, it sounds like the mosfet is the load. Presumably the output from the current transformer is rectified (bridge rectified?). In this case you're still going to bees a diode (across the inductor) but the secondary current will fall to zero quickly, and that's going to generate its own problems.

A zener from drain to (suitably protected) gate can be used to turn on the mosfet sufficiently to clamp the voltage across it.

I'm not sure if this is any assistance.

Ask a Question