Connect with us

GPS Transmitter

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Electro132, Feb 12, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Electro132

Electro132

Feb 12, 2013
    HI,

I always wanted to do this but put it off since i didn't have time due to work committments. Now that i do, i would like to know how to construct a GPS that can transmit a signal message back to the home router and through the internet. Or better yet, GPS transmits a Txt message to my mobile phone after the trigger for the GPS gets tripped.

Any ideas? Really keen on building this. Thanks

2. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    You would need a GPS module, a GSM module and a microcontroller to do this. If you don't know what these are, you are in for a long learning period.

Bob

3. Electro132

Electro132

Feb 12, 2013

I know what they are. But wait, doesn't the GPS module come complete with antenna and all? So why the need for a GSM module? Also how do you connect them together just so i can a picture in my head.

Thanks

4. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    A GPS module is a receiver only. You need a transmitter as well. A GSM module is a cell-phone transmitter, which is capable, under control of a microprocessor, to send text messages.

So the system looks like this:

The GPS module constantly (about every second) provides position data to the microcontroller. The microcotroller has some algorithm to determine when to send a text mssage and the content of that message. It then uses the GSM module to send the message. You will have to connect these 3 modules and do the programming on the microcontroller to make this work.

Bob

5. Electro132

Electro132

Feb 12, 2013
    Ok cool. But this is what i want to do: Have a trigger switch for the entry/exit of the door connected so whenever the door gets open/closed/armed/disarmed, the microprocessor algorithm sends a text message to the wifi network on my wifi router/modem and the modem should convert the message into something it can send out on ADSL2+ so my mobile can receive it as a txt message.

But the 2 problems i'm having is whether it's better to send the txt message to my phone on a GSM module or a wifi module (Or are they both the same?) and is the GSM module capable of sending txt messages that can be understood by a wifi router/modem? .

Thanks

6. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    OK so what does GPS have to do with all this ?? I assume the door doesnt have legs and feet and is unable to move anywhere ?

Dave

7. Electro132

Electro132

Feb 12, 2013
    GPS was the first idea that might have worked on sending txt messages after arming/disarming/entry/exit the door of a house. But now i found out GSM modules are better and then thought why not a wifi module? Just getting ideas.

But you are right. This is a thread about GPS as well because i want to build a GPS module which allows me to send a signal and then receive one back but not sure how

8. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    OK :)

well the only things that transmits GPS are the GPS satellites
    As commented earlier, you would use a GPS receiver module to receive that info
    then decode it with a micro controller eg a PIC processor...very commonly done these days. Once decoded, you can then retransmit that via a GMS phone module or other legally allowable transmitter freqs in your country.
    Here in Australia, I am a service tech for a company that is the Australian reseller and service centre for Trimble GPS systems used in survey, mining and road construction etc industries. The location, time and corrections data we receive from the satellites gets retransmitted on a network of 450 - 470MHz beacons across the country and also more locally between pieces of equipment on a given construction site

Dave

9. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    ok I am lost, this is a burglar alarm with gps? what is the gps for exactly?
    also the burglar alarm part is very common thing for micros as is gsm modules. the only thing I am hoping that this isn't going to do is directly contact the police giving them an automated message cos if the system "mistriggers" then the police will not be happy at all.
    a good idea would be letting us know the total extent of your plans that way we can recommend the right items, right now I know it will recieve a signal from a keypad or existing burglar alarm, and possiblya reed switch on the door, and trasnmit it via text or wifi to your phone, and for some reason a gps.... anything else?

http://www.amazon.com/Security-Burglar-System-Dialer-standard/dp/B000SMM1DY
    is a start as it has motion sensor, and a couple features you mentioned, but alas is not perfect... yet lol

Ask a Question