Connect with us

Google+ group?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Members Lounge' started by Anon_LG, Jun 29, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Anon_LG

Anon_LG

Jun 24, 2014
    Does electronicspoint have a google+ group?

2. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    No. What would we want it for?

BTW I like your sig :)

(*steve*) likes this.
  3. Anon_LG

Anon_LG

Jun 24, 2014
    Oh.

I dont know.

And thanks.

4. Ian

Ian Administrator

Aug 23, 2006
    Nope, we've not got one - I know that quite a few sites do have Facebook/Google+ pages, but I'm not sure what use it would be for a forum, as we'd probably end up with questioned posted in all sorts of off-site areas which would be a bit confusing.

Would it be useful and I'm just unaware of the benefits?

5. Anon_LG

Anon_LG

Jun 24, 2014
    I was just thinking that some people may log into google+ more often and the group/page could send out posts to inform members of changes to the site, servers going down for maintenance, new sections, new resources etc (I do not know whether any of these are actually applicable, I do not know how often any of these happen as I am new to the site and just imagined this is what the group would be used for if it did exist).

6. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    IRC anyone ;)
    I'd prefer that instead of G+... but that's just me.

Lavaguava.. I got bored and played with your Avatar

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  7. Anon_LG

Anon_LG

Jun 24, 2014
    IRC, I had not heard of that before, I Googled it and "wikipediaed" it, which IRC site were you thinking and do you think a group/page would be any use? I would have thought the forums could do at least a trial run of it to find out how useful it is.

I have just thought of another important use of a page/community: publicity.

8. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    IRC isn't a site per say, but is a type of instant messaging service.
    An IRC server will allow others to connect and chat with any other Electronics Point user currently online and signed in.
    It differs from things like MSN messenger and Skype because it is based more on having lobbies or rooms for everyone to be a part of rather than messaging individual people.
    It is a very light weight protocol, and a client can run on damn near anything from embedded systems and cell phones to desktop machines of almost any OS.

9. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    IRC was around BEFORE instagram, twitter, Facebook Yahoo messenger, MSMessenger and all those other current social media systems
    I met my wife on IRC back in 1999 and 15 yrs later we are still going strong

1 of the well known programs for accessing IRC chat channels was mIRC

Dave

10. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    mIRC is still around. I've been using HexChat... and damn Dave that's pretty cool to find your wife on IRC.

11. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    IRC is also volatile. If I talk to you on IRC, explaining some complex issue, it does not get preserved so others can search for and find it later. I could explain it again or you could Chinese whisper it to someone else.

This is why I only extremely rarely respond to technical questions sent to me via a PM. (I generally recommend posting the question in the forums.

As a place to hang out and chat, fine. And for individuals a great way to get quick advice, but that advice also comes without the oversight (and possibly care) that the forums have.

If you look at the resource section, that is in direct response (mostly) to being asked the same question over and over. I suspect those sort of questions might dominate any messaging system (when people were not discussing their weekend or telling fart jokes).

The real benefit of the forums come when you see a thread about a really weird problem on some obscure item of equipment come alive again years after the original posting. More than once I've seen the original poster join in this revived thread. It's just not going to happen on IRC.

12. Anon_LG

Anon_LG

Jun 24, 2014
    Is there any way to prevent messaging on the (*non-existent) page, so that it could only be used for my above mentioned uses, or just give a group/page a trial run?

13. Ian

Ian Administrator

Aug 23, 2006
    It could well be, I'll have a look at it over the next few days and see what I can do. If I don't get back by the middle of next week, give me a nudge :D.

14. Anon_LG

Anon_LG

Jun 24, 2014
    OK :)

15. Ian

Ian Administrator

Aug 23, 2006
  16. Anon_LG

Anon_LG

Jun 24, 2014
    Nice. The image is good, I think that you should put in the "about" section: "for absolute beginners to pros in electronics" or something of the sort. I will be following the page.

Ian likes this.
  17. Anon_LG

Anon_LG

Jun 24, 2014
    Yay, I'm the first follower!

Ask a Question