Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Good basic breadboarding kit?

flippineck

Sep 8, 2013
Long time ago I used to collect all kinds of components.. used to strip down circuit boards etc & painstakingly store them all away in drawer cabinets etc. And I had a nice collection of tools, some bought new, some secondhand, even some hand built.. oscilloscope, capacitance meter, logic probes, soldering iron, breadboard etc..

A few decades and a load of life happened and I'm now down to a pretty poor show.. a sledgehammer of a soldering iron, some rusty-leaded questionable components lying in a damp pile on the garage floor.. a corroded 1980's breadboard.. a broken WW2-era oscilloscope..

I want to get up and running again as quick and as cheaply as possible, to be able to quickly breadboard some simple circuits with basic discrete components like capacitors, resistors, diodes, transistors etc.

Can anyone recommend any one-stop kits that are good for this, available online at sites like ebay etc?

I'm thinking maybe a briefcase style affair with..

stocks of common components - R's, L's C's, semis, indicators
breadboard
jumper wires
power supply
couple of basic volt & ammeters
cheap PC/USB-based oscilloscope card

everything needed to have an idea, or a circuit diagram, and jump straight in building a test setup.

Remember those radio shack 10-in-1 / 25-in-1 / 50-in-1 etc project kits with the springy connectors, made for kids?

Sort of like that maybe but a bit more involved / versatile

Ideally after buying something all in one rather than buying each item seperately

Thanks for any links, suggestions etc

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
These are all things that I have or have recently purchased. The multimeter is a steal at the current offered price. $43 from amazon.com or from the other site. Amazon would be the way to go if you have free shipping in the UK. BTW, there was a recent post from another member with a free link to his ebook on how to produce a o-scope with a few parts and your computers sound card, snoop around for it, its a good read.

If you find any good assortments of IC's pass it along, I haven't found any.

I hope this helps you get restarted ;-)

Breadboard with jumpers

Breadboard
Multimeter
Multimeter from other source
Other meter
Resistors----> Just noticed that the price is now $18! I got them for less than $9 delivered, look around deals like these are easy to come by!
Zeners
PCB's
Electrolytics
Electrolytics 2
Caps
pots
diodes
transistors
switches
jumpers
jumper leads for meter