Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Good alligator clips

cyberwasp

Feb 26, 2013
This may sound strange but I'm looking for some alligator clip test leads. I've bought two sets and one was impossible to use as the covers slipped and had to use pliers to open. the others were too hard to open. Could someone suggest a good set and where to get them. Thank you.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Hi @cyberwasp
Definitely a strange one!.
I know what you mean about covers slipping!.
I have to shamefully admit that all mine have seen the world on their way to me. But most have been good with some exceptions. I suppose the question is back at you...
What size?, what ccurrent?, fully insulated?, what material?, complete test lead?, colour? Etc.
Most cheap ones have a terrible rivet that separates. Also most cheap test ‘leads’ have terrible plated strands that wont twist for tinning.
That said, some have nice 18awg silicone wire.
I would think any reputable store will have quality and a price to match. Probably have to try a few to see what meets your needs that you like.

Martin

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
Best way to get exactly what you want is to roll your own using major brand parts and the length and gauge, high strand count silicone wire you need. I would select a (low) wire gauge for durability rather than just meeting current handling requirements.

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/test-and-measurement/test-clips-alligator-crocodile-heavy-duty/623?k=&pkeyword=&sv=0&sf=0&FV=-8|623&quantity=&ColumnSort=0&page=1&stock=1&pageSize=25

These Pomona clips are reasonable for the money, and also come in red (part # 2240-2):
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/pomona-electronics/2240-0/501-1849-ND/736280

You can buy ready made assemblies but they often aren't much different in price from the major brands, than the components to DIY, except that buying silicone wire, you may have to get more than you need, and if you want multiple colors, the price keeps rising BUT over the long run, basic staples like quality wire are good to have around for so many purposes.

Of course another option is to accept junk but get 5X as much of it for the same money on ebay. Sometimes the junk isn't even cheap. I got this $38 Meterk set off Amazon for $11 on a promo and think that was even too much for the flimsiness of it. Then again it was cheap for # of pieces but the funny thing is, it gets reasonable reviews so I don't know what they could be comparing against.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BDF6CVT/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you have clips with fidgety covers, you might just remove them if the design allows, or replace them with some partially shrunk, glue-less, heatshrink tubing. You can make a single-walled cardboard cylinder to slide over the clip jaws, then the heatshrink tubing is shrunk over that, to control the tubing shrinkage then once it cools down, pull the cylinder out.

Last edited:

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
And of course, you will probably get more ‘hits’ if you search for crocodile clips rather than alligator. Just sayin’....

Martin

cyberwasp

Feb 26, 2013
Thanks guys. Unfortunately I live about 100 miles from any decent electronics store. Usually end up getting stuff from Amazon which is where I got the ones I have now.

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
I wasn't suggesting to go to any electronics stores. They'd charge a premium and it still might be junk [cough]Radio Shack[/cough]. ebay shipping is often free (if you have the better part of a month to wait for things from China) or for small parts from Digikey, under 8oz IIRC, they have first class postage that runs about $3 and usually takes about 4 days, maybe longer with Christmas approaching.