Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Gold Plating... Is it worth it?

PatHastings

Apr 18, 2011
One of my friends wants me to install a "Ground Kit", an amp, and a couple subs in his car.
I have seen a lot of people saying that the ring connectors should be gold plated, but from what i have skimmed... on wikipedia... it seems that gold plating would be useless for something like this. I had planned to solder (and crimp) the connectors on and it seems that the gold plating will just mix with the solder. So from what I can see the gold plating is strictly for the corrosion resistance, but Im not so sure the ring connector will be corroding a whole lot in a trunk. Maybe in the ground kit under the hood, but i feel like some vaseline is a cheaper way to protect there.
Let me know what you think.
Thanks
-Pat

Also how useful is gold plating? seems like a waste of money to me...

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
Gold plating looks great, and it offers good corrosion protection (if it's thick enough) but imho it's pretty much a hype and not of any other "technical" use.
Vaseline would like you say offer good corrosion protection too.
Gold is a much poorer conductor than copper, and it's easily absorbed by solder as you say.
But solder is also a poor conductor, and so connectors should be crimped first of all, and any soldering should only be done after - as a corrosion protection measure.

PatHastings

Apr 18, 2011
Awesome thanks for the answer, but i forgot to add something last night. 99.99% oxygen free cable. You think its useful or pointless? I feel like its also a waste of money for this application and any 8 or 4 awg wire will be pretty much work. Should i spend the extra money on it or just go w/ the cheaper stuff?

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
What makes gold better is that it doesnt oxidise and corrode like copper does. Oxidised copper is a poor conductor, which is why gold is used for electrical contacts --- edge connectors, terminals, plugs and sockets etc
but in your situation, copper terminals protected with vaseline or silicon sealer etc is going to be just fine :)
You will find a lot of terminals these days silver plated, which is ideal

cheers
Dave

GSMelectronics.co.uk

Sep 10, 2011
hey theres a guy here in newcastle who gold plates mobile phones and ppl fences! he makes a killing!!!!! £3-4000 a week. so depends where you are I guess!

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
Oxygen free cable is also a hype, imho.. A gold plated car would be nice tho'.. ;)

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Oxygen free cable is also a hype, imho.. A gold plated car would be nice tho'.. ;)

agreed the OFC cables is the biggest con pulled on sound gear users
I still cant believe after so many years that people refuse to see the light and realise how badly they have been screwed lol

I just shake my head in amazement

Dave

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I still cant believe after so many years that people refuse to see the light and realise how badly they have been screwed lol

Yes, becasuse everyone knows that OFC is a con.

It is only "Monster Cables" that can make your sound better!

Bwahahahahaha

GSMelectronics.co.uk

Sep 10, 2011
Yes, becasuse everyone knows that OFC is a con.

It is only "Monster Cables" that can make your sound better!

Bwahahahahaha

pmsl ad steve. lol this has put a smile on my face! I think moster is a load of crap, even though they are good quality! there are other makes that are just as good!

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Early transistors were supplied with gold plated leads but these were found to produce unreliable solder joints.The soldering was very easy but an intermetallic gold/tin compound was formed which was very brittle. See Wikipedia.

GSMelectronics.co.uk

Sep 10, 2011
Early transistors were supplied with gold plated leads but these were found to produce unreliable solder joints.The soldering was very easy but an intermetallic gold/tin compound was formed which was very brittle. See Wikipedia.

nice info duke thanks

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
A gold-plated carabiner for Resqueline.
Can we hear details of the 'gold-onto-plastic' technique please?