Connect with us

Glow Baton Repair

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by aussiedean, May 14, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. aussiedean

aussiedean

May 14, 2013
    Hi all,

First post here, I have acquired a Glow Baton recently that was not working correctly and suspect may have been dropped.

Before I begin I don't claim to be an expert in electronics but know a few basics or enough to get me into trouble but enjoy learning about how things work.

So I have the small board out of the Baton which as you can see from the pic it has many small components, have had a look over the board with a loupe and to my untrained eye can see no real issue with the board. Nothing burnt or visibly obvious. The main problem here is when you insert the two AA batteries into the holder the LED's begin to cycle thru the different operations ie from fully on to flashing then into strobe mode. Only way to turn it off is to remove the batteries again.

I have tested the surface mount tact switch with a multimeter and appears to be working ok but suspect it maybe the problem due to me not being able to turn it off when the batteries are in place. Or could the onboard chip be the problem? Anyway am open to suggestions from anyone willing to offer opinion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    Can't see the pictures you tried to post, but it sure sounds like the switch itself, to me.

3. CDRIVE

CDRIVE Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3

May 8, 2012
    Not that it has anything to do with your problem but the board appears to have two LEDs wired in parallel, That's usually a no - no.

Chris

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  4. aussiedean

aussiedean

May 14, 2013
    Thanks for the replies ... might be in the too hard basket I think as I'm unable to find a suitable tact switch for it anyway. When I tested the switch it appears to work OK. Its a mom switch which tests normally for that type of switch. I'm guessing it may be the on board chip damaged but not sure. The correct voltage is getting to the board so no issues there either.

5. Rleo6965

Rleo6965

Jan 22, 2012
    Possible a loose connection or cold solder on pcb trace. Use multimeter to test continuity of traces and switch contact.

Can you post the other side of board and showing the push button switch pcb trace.

6. CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
    Is there any evidence that it ever got wet?

Chris

7. aussiedean

aussiedean

May 14, 2013
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions guys ... have put the unit back together now but if I get another one I'll look into it a bit deeper. Quite possible it may have had some moisture in there as they are sometimes used in the rain.

The units are quite well sealed although I would not say water proof more like shower proof.

I did check a few traces on the PCB and all appeared normal. Went over it with a mag lens and no bad solder joints from what I could see.

Funny thing was I put it all back together ... and it worked normally .... didn't last though I turned it off and left it sitting and it turns its self back on to flashing mode. Had to then pull the battery to turn it off.

Many thanks for the assistance though chaps .... greatly appreciated. :)

8. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    It's possible that it got into a funny state and just needed to be reset. Pulling the battery for some time will generally do that.

9. CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
    You can try liberally scrubbing the board with rubbing alcohol using a tooth brush. I've also used mineral spirits successfully.

Chris

10. aussiedean

aussiedean

May 14, 2013
    Ok thanks will give that a go as well, much appreciated

Ask a Question