Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Getting laptop battery to charge

BrianL

Dec 9, 2011
I have a ~2 year old laptop that sat for a few months and now the battery is too low to accept a charge. Many people are able to reset the protection circuit to get them to charge. What do you think the best way to do this is?
I read somewhere about using a resistor to connect two pins (grounds I think) together, but can't remember where I saw that, or how to find which are the correct pins. I did try two 9V batteries (18.6V) on the outer pins, but either the current isn't enough, or more than likely, the protection circuit needs to be reset first.

And I can't get a the voltage with a DMM, but I'm guessing the protection circuit is also preventing it.

Attached is a photo of my battery.battery.JPG

Yes I know the dangers of lithium chemistry.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Some may claim a hard reset is a cure-all but I have my doubts. Won't hurt to try though. Remove charger, any external gear, remove battery and hold down the power button for a couple of minutes. Battery is most likely had it, so best would be get a new one. Playing with any wiring poked into a battery could see some rather dangerous results.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Such slow charging inevitably means one of internal battery cells has bought the farm - I've never seen/heard of a cure other than cell replacement that works.