Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Getting into the industry

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
I've been stuck in a Cabinet shop for the past 5 years. It's great and all... I program, fix things, w/e...
But I would like to try to get a position that keeps my brain busy. I want to work with electronics officially, not only occasionally when something in the shop breaks.

Does anyone here have any ideas or suggestions for me to move into something like this? What kind of places should I start to look at, I never see anything relevant in the paper.
I have excelled at my highschool electronics, and found a place on the dean's list in collage for an Electronics Common Core program... (Which was more or less a recap of physics for the first couple months)
I can always learn more, and want to attend BCIT... but for now that's out of the question.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
With out being rude can I ask your age? I am 41 BTW

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
was going to ask the same :)

you have 3 main routes
1) an adult apprenticeship
2) finding some one who will take you on based on your current level of electronics then doing training courses as part of the job
3) doing your nite tech courses first and having that to show a prospective employer

unless you are going for an apprenticeship, most employers will be looking for someone already experienced. Not specifically in their work, but in electronics in general

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Ok I just thought of maybe becoming an apprentice if that's an option. The other thing you could try is maybe a temping agency.
Adam

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
over the years, it has been my experience that has got me jobs, not my qualifications ( or lack of)

This current job I have been at for the last 3 years as a Trimble GPS tech definitely wasn't because of any experience I had in this specific field ... I had none. But I had had years of electronics in a variety of jobs from radio/TV, sound systems, RF communications etc

you need to find some one who is willing to take the chance with you and then work your way up :)

qualifications are good, but I have seen too many academically qualified people who are useless at practical electronics
they know all the theory, but don't have the practical abilities

Dave

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
over the years, it has been my experience that has got me jobs, not my qualifications ( or lack of)

This current job I have been at for the last 3 years as a Trimble GPS tech definitely wasn't because of any experience I had in this specific field ... I had none. But I had had years of electronics in a variety of jobs from radio/TV, sound systems, RF communications etc

you need to find some one who is willing to take the chance with you and then work your way up :)

qualifications are good, but I have seen too many academically qualified people who are useless at practical electronics

Dave

I totally agree Dave, I have also experienced this in the past and actually right now. Students with no experience can easily became Wiki robots to impress the boss but when they haven't got the internet or find themselves out of their depth with something new, we the non academic ones come to the rescue again and again and again. The boss soon works out what's going on. Experience is one of the most important things an employer looks for nowadays. But that's not saying education isn't also important to build the initial foundation.
Adam

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014

I've seen that as a student... Some of my peers had considerable difficulty constructing some sample circuits, and graduated with sub-par skills/knowledge.
My idea was to try to jump into a position repairing arcade equipment. Most of it is basic enough, and lots of the machines in my area still rather old... Which to me translates into serviceable.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
So, it's starting out small.
Got an interview at a local-ish arcade for a technical position. Will mostly be mundane resets for some of the card readers, but will get me some relevant work experience within the field. There is no 'open position' but they are taking the time to bring me in for a second interview, so it sounds promising!
It will look better than an umbrella Cabinet Shop title. (Although I do occasional CNC repair... it's maybe once every second year... which is good, but I like the challenge)

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
So, it's starting out small.
Got an interview at a local-ish arcade for a technical position. Will mostly be mundane resets for some of the card readers, but will get me some relevant work experience within the field. There is no 'open position' but they are taking the time to bring me in for a second interview, so it sounds promising!
It will look better than an umbrella Cabinet Shop title. (Although I do occasional CNC repair... it's maybe once every second year... which is good, but I like the challenge)

Good luck and I hope it goes well.
Adam