Connect with us

Getting away with it.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by davelectronic, Jun 15, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. davelectronic

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
    Ok not ideal thing to do but this pc was being a pain in the butt, so i thought stuff it replacing a 6.3 volt 3300uf electrolytic with wait for it.... a 25 volt 4700uf unit oops i know its not ideal but appears to work fine /-: did i get away with it ? i've no idea. The reason was i thought i had scupperd my chance of repair after clearing the lead holes looked hopeless, so instead of ordering a value that matches i just through what i had to hand in there thinking this wont work anyways.

I know its poor show but this machine was two steps from the bin. I think although not 100% its in the audio output part of the circuit.

Its been running a few days now wandering if i got away with it, although i know not best practice. Thoughts anyone.

2. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    It's just a bulk filter capacitor on a supply so no problem, unless you were expecting an excuse to buy a new computer.

davelectronic likes this.
  3. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Increasing the voltage is not an issue. Increasing the capacitance often isn't a major issue either.

In this case the issue is that it physically fits.

It did, so (in all probability) you're gold!

4. davelectronic

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
    I was kind a hopeing this might be the case. New computer aghh not likely lol. Oh all's well that ends well, i know i know no more getting away with it promise (-:

Ask a Question