Connect with us

Get a led working

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by Vdb, Jan 7, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Vdb

Vdb

Jan 7, 2013
    Hi all
    My question must be a simple one for all you experts :)

I have got a toggle relay circuit /pttoo which I am going to use in my camper van to be operated by a push switch in the dash.
    This push switch has a built in led that is ment to lit up when the push activates the pttoo relay.
    The pttoo relay circuit has a small warning led in the board that lids up when relay is activated.
    I thought I could use that to lid up the push switch. By connecting the push switch in parallel over the warning led it does lid up but very faint. As it normally connects directly to 12v.
    The warning led measures about a 2v voltage drop .

So, then I thought what if is make this trigger a 2nd relay via a bc547 transitor?
    That circuit on its own I have working but the warning led on the pttoo does not trigger the relay via the transitor.

My circuit has 3 components: a bc547, collector to 12v, emitter to relay with diode across, relay via 300ohm to earth. Base to connect to led on pttoo?

What am I doing wrong?

( I can't use the relay on the pttoo board itself for this. It is used to switch the head unit main power between the car batt and the leisure batt. So both switched points always carry 12v)

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Vdb

2. CDRIVE

CDRIVE Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3

May 8, 2012
    Can you post the schematic of what you have and make notations to it?

Chris

3. Vdb

Vdb

Jan 7, 2013
    hi chris
    just realised that the pttoo i received and am working with is not the one i ordered. It should have had a dual set of relay contacts which woudl solve my problem. I 'll try to get it swapped first
    vdb

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    What is a pttoo?

5. CDRIVE

CDRIVE Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3

May 8, 2012
    Ha, I assumed everyone knew what it is but me!

Chris

6. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    I tried googling it but that didnt help So I have no idea either

Dave

7. Vdb

Vdb

Jan 7, 2013
Ask a Question