Connect with us

Generator Cutts out when Load is applied

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by RuaanvdMerwe, Jan 8, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. RuaanvdMerwe

RuaanvdMerwe

Jan 8, 2013
    I have a borehole pump, running on a generator.
    Currently I am starting the generator and when I start the pump, the generator cutts out.

The only thing I notice, is that the starting CAP is rated as 80mF and I measure 57mF.

Can this be the cause or is the pump faulty? How can I test my pump. It is a single phase 2.2Kw pump.

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    The capacitor shouldn't be the culprit. It is bit at the low end of the tolerance, but still acceptable.
    I'd check the motor. Electrically and mechanically. What is the resistance of the windings? Can you tirn the motor by hand (no power applied!), or does it show high friction (maybe it's stuck)?

3. RuaanvdMerwe

RuaanvdMerwe

Jan 8, 2013
    Thanks

I will measure the resistance. It is a difficult task to get to the motor itself. I was hoping the problem is at the controller. I do not have access to it now, but will measure it the weekend.

Is there something else at the controller that can coarse this symptoms?

Do you perhaps know what the resistance need to be?

4. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    Has it worked in the past?

A motor will take much more current on start than when running and the generator will need to supply this peak.

5. RuaanvdMerwe

RuaanvdMerwe

Jan 8, 2013
    Yes - I am using this setup for three years already. I am using it to irrigate my lands.

I had to replace the run capacitor already - but this is all.

6. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    The first thing I'd suspect is your pump.
    Is it jammed/seized?
    Do you have excessive back-pressure at whatever you're pumping into?
    Disconnect the pump from the hydraulic line, and see if it runs without load, then
    troubleshoot from there.

Ask a Question