Connect with us

general questions regarding electric design

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by Stijn Goris, Apr 1, 2004.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Stijn Goris

    Stijn Goris Guest

    hi all,

    I m designing a (virtual) product for my university. I don' have a lot of
    electronic knowledge.
    here are some questions:
    - I want to split an incomming electric wire (inside a product eg
    microwave). Go from 2 electric wires to 4. Does someone know what I have to
    use for this?
    - I use some chips on my PCB (CPU, flash memory component, RTC). Does a chip
    always needs its own klockpulsgenerator or can I use one on the PCB and
    connect all the componets to it. Someone knows a website where I can find
    info regarding klokpuls generators?
    - I m looking for a powerfeed. Has to convert 110 or 220-230 AC to -> 3.3 DC
    .. Someone knows where I ca nfind such a device.

    I hope my questions are clear enough.

    Thanks in advance

    kind regard
  2. Hi
    When you come to distribute clocks over your PCB I recommend two major
    1. Use point to point only, and not daisy chain
    2. Separate the clock sources for different functionalities.
    Meaning don't use same oscilator to drive both the CPU block and for example
    your Telecom block, even if both need same frequency.

    Point to point will be achieved by connecting a clocks distributor chip to
    your clock source.
    Use for that a special chip and not a regular buffer.
    Look at IDT/ PRECOM/ CYPRESS/ TI for such chips

    For the AC--> DC converter , many vendors provide it,
    a small search in Google will show you.
    I myself have used HiTron, ASTEC, LUCENT

  3. Seth Koster

    Seth Koster Guest

    - I m looking for a powerfeed. Has to convert 110 or 220-230 AC to -> 3.3 DC
    Normal AC can be rectified with three basic circuits, the half
    rectifier, the full wave rectifier and the bridge rectifier. The
    circuit above is a half wave rectifier.
    The half wave just puts a diode in the circuit, allowing only one
    half the AC waveform to flow while the negative half is cut off. The
    full wave uses two diodes and the center tap of a transformer to
    convert both halfwaves from each end of the transformer to positive
    while completing the path to the center tap (ground). The bridge
    uses four diodes to rectify without using a center tap. In any of
    these cases you'll get pulsating DC and will want to filter it using
    capacitance and/or inductance.
    Check out a google search on any of these and you should find a
    schematic (all very easy).
    Polyphase AC uses other rectification configurations, so check your
    appliance out.
    To limit a DC voltage one could use a zener diode in parallel with
    the limited circuit (rail to rail if full DC circuit needs to be
    limited). Check the requirements of the zener to be sure it can
    handle the output of the ps. Another possibility is a voltage
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day