Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Gear VR Internal Connectors

benfrey

Jul 16, 2017
Hello Everyone,

I just joined this forum because I have been struggling to identify the connectors found in the Samsung Gear VR. This is the 2016 model (SM-R323), and I've been trying to identify these flat-type ribbon connectors so I can order some more connectors to wire myself. If anyone could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ben

Attachments

• IMG_4898.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_4898.JPG.jpeg
    262.9 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_4899.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_4899.JPG.jpeg
    176.8 KB · Views: 100

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Domestically, I would guess Samtec, Molex, maybe 3M... But there are many "standard" connectors in Asia that are not available through distribution here. JST and Foxxcon have tons.

ak

benfrey

Jul 16, 2017
Thank you, both. kellys_eye was right about the .4mm pitch spacing, also most likely a DF37 series. I have contacted a few companies about a breakout board of sorts that would allow me to tinker with these signals (with micro controllers). Do either of you have any suggestions as to how I can adapt such a small connector? Is it feasible to print my own circuit and etch vs. pre built (like attachment) vs. contact professionals for custom manufacture?

Thanks,
Ben

Attachments

• 20697-8382848.jpg
    20697-8382848.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 94

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
The breakout board you show the picture of has spacing for the 0.4mm pitch connector and you can solder any size onto the board you want.

Etching your own board to 0.4mm accuracy is fraught with difficulty but the usual suspect commercial board manufacturers would chuck out a load for a few $

benfrey

Jul 16, 2017
Thanks again kellys_eye, I have run into difficulty trying to find a DF37 pre-soldered onto a .4mm breakout. I am reaching out to Samsung right now to confirm connector types before I order more, but after spending nearly 3 hours on the phone with them I'll need to find another way. I really appreciate your help for pointing me in the right direction from the beginning!

Thanks again,
Ben

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Here's a DF10 break out board that could work for the smaller connectors. It was designed for SMD integrated circuits but I suspect the socket would fit across the gap anyway.

http://www.proto-advantage.com/store/images/PRODUCTS/IPC0088_0.JPG

Not sure if you'll ever find one ready-made (with a socket pre-mounted) but don't be scared of soldering one onto a board yourself - there are video tutorials showing how to 'drag solder' such fine pitch devices and it's easier than you'd think! If you've got some soldering experience then I'd be giving it a go myself.

But the easiest way to get the board you want is to knock out a pcb design and have it made by the pro's - such manufacturing is remarkably cheap these days. A program like 'Eagle' will do it and there are on-line companies that have their own software if you don't want to go that far.

benfrey

Jul 16, 2017
Thank you kellys_eye,

Your knowledge of knowing the right places to look is very impressive. I have been in touch with the Administrator over on the Samsung support forums. The admin has direct access to the Gear VR team and discussed my message with them. I will update this thread once they confirm the connector, but I have a feeling you have been right in your prediction.

Thank you very much,
Ben

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Going 'to the top' is the sure way to get answers!

If your idea would only go to promote the Gear VR product itself then I'm sure you'll get all the assistance you need.

benfrey

Jul 16, 2017
Update as of 08/12/17:

Still haven't heard back from Samsung Admin. My guess is that they can't share that info. In the mean time Hirose Electronics sent me some sample connectors of their BM10 and DF37 series. None of the BM10s fit, but the DF37 connector height was very close. The DF37 connectors will work if they didn't have this little ridge (picture below) in the perimeter of the connector.

Does anyone know a connector without this ridge? Pitch spacing: .4mm.

Attachments

• IMG_5053.jpg
    IMG_5053.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 79

benfrey

Jul 16, 2017
Hello again kellys_eye, glad to hear from you!

The picture above was of the Hirose DF37NC-10DS-0.4V(51) (left), and the unidentified Gear VR connector (right). By your definition of the ridge, I am looking for a connector without a polarizing pin.

Edit: Worst case scenario; I can't find the exact connector used in the Gear VR. Would it be possible to mill out the plastic? What kind of tools/companies would I need?

IMG_5053.jpg

[mod note: edited image file to something more appropriate]

Last edited by a moderator: