Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Gate intercom battery draining fast

skilet

Nov 2, 2012
I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on why a gate intercom battery is draining very quickly.

The folks renting our property has installed a remote intercom/gate opening system to allow them to communicate and operate the gate from inside the house. It is working, but they have found that the battery in the intercom box at the gate is only lasting a day or so.

I looked at it yesterday, and the intercom box is powered through a 5volt outlet transformer, and reads 5v at the input of the board when the gate is not in operation.
The gate circuit (to which control wires from the intercom circuit are wired) reads just over 18v.
The input to the intercom board reads just over 18v when the gate is in operation, so I'm thinking this has to do with the way the intercom (remote gate control) wires are connected into the gate circuit.

I hope I have explained the setup clearly and look forward to reading any questions/solutions

Thanks

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
............It is working, but they have found that the battery in the intercom box at the gate is only lasting a day or so.

I looked at it yesterday, and the intercom box is powered through a 5volt outlet transformer, and reads 5v at the input of the board when the gate is not in operation..........

OK so that is contradictory ....you say its battery, then you say its running off a mains to 5V transformer PSU

Which is it ??

Dave

skilet

Nov 2, 2012
That just occurred to me as well... Not sure why there would be a battery in the intercom box itself... But there is.... And it is the identical battery that is used in the wireless handset. .... I very much appreciate the response, and will see if I can get more info on the unit.

Thanks