Connect with us

Gas soldering iron/hot air gun

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by shumifan50, Jan 16, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. shumifan50

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
    I am looking at buying a gas soldering iron/hot air gun, the Weller WP3EU. It seems a reasonable price, but I am not sure about the hot air nozzle for reflowing/desoldering as it looks quite large and I don't want want to desolder a whole board while removing a single component. I can't find any other nozzles for sale for this model,
    What should the nozzle diameter be?
    Has anybody got any experience using this model of Weller.

2. davelectronic

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
    I have the Antex gas cat 120 can't fault it for soldering and hot air use even has hot knife and mini blow torch attachments runs for 2 hours on a single fill before needing refill again top tool.

3. shumifan50

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
    @Davelectronic:
    Thanks for the reply.
    Do you use it for removing parts from and mounting parts on SMD boards as this is what I want to buy it for.

4. shumifan50

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
    Nudge.
    I am till wondering about a gas soldering iron/hot air gun.
    Specifically how big the hot air nozzle should be for SMT work and which of the multitude of gas soldering irons would be best suited.

5. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    The nozzle needs to be about the same size as the area to be heated (that's an approximation). You'll find that a variety of nozzles are produced that slip over the end of the hot air tools designed for this purpose to suit various types of components.

It's a pain to change nozzles. I generally stick to a round 5mm nozzle.

6. shumifan50

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
    @Steve Tanks for that

Ask a Question