Connect with us

Gas meter plug?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Marweb, Oct 28, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Marweb

Marweb

Oct 28, 2016
    IMG_2156.PNG Anyone have any idea where i can buy a plug to fit this? Its to connect a battery to a gas meter

Sorry if this questions in the wrong place, am totally new to all this

2. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    You're in the right place. Looks like a Molex - type connector. Molex is a manufacturer of that type of connector.
    Do you see any (they'll be very small, on an edge) identification markings raised on the connector? ( A part number that will get us an exact identification.)

3. Marweb

Marweb

Oct 28, 2016
    Can't get my head underneath to take a look so just took few pics on my phone

Ill try a few more pics and stick them on my computer tomorrow to see if i can see anything

Really appreciate your help

4. flippineck

flippineck

Sep 8, 2013
    Had a google for you, couldn't see a pattern that matched anywhere though.. closest I found was a molex 5557 which looks similar but not a perfect match.. will try again if you post more info (any details on the gas meter itself?)

5. Marweb

Marweb

Oct 28, 2016
    Took few more pics but can't see any numbers or markings on the plug, didn't think to take a pic of the meter, will be back home monday will take the details of the meter then

6. Marweb

Marweb

Oct 28, 2016
  7. flippineck

flippineck

Sep 8, 2013
    Aye, I recognise that beast.. had one in lancashire in the mid 90's. I think they were fairly common, must be some way of getting the info on it..Tried to zoom in & get some ID off it but no joy. Any ID numbers etc off your own meter that can help identify the type?

If it's a live gas meter fitted at your property no doubt a call to the relevant gas supplier / national grid / whoever's looking after the infrastructure at the moment, will result in a service call to replace the battery at no charge.

I'm assuming this is something you've got hold of from a surplus sale etc? I'm always a bit wary of gas appliances, if in doubt seek a 'Gas Safe' guy formerly known as a 'Corgi' (they keep changing the names..)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
Ask a Question