Maker Pro
Maker Pro

garage door opener

Status
Not open for further replies.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
The capacitor is a start only capacitor so will likely go pop if used for an extended period of time. Normally start capacitors are disconnected as soon as the motor is up to speed but here it perhaps could be left connected if the running time is short.

The smallest grain grinder that I have seen needed a 30HP drive.

There must be at least 3 wires to the motor capasitor combination to get two directions.

Forgot to enter this so some information duplicated.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
That is a start/run capacitor and can be left in circuit as it is normally a oil/paper const. the start capacitor is a bi-polar electrolytic and must not be in circuit for more than a second or two.
M.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
The main take away here is that it is not a continuous duty motor and will quickly overheat and die for what the op wants to use it for.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
The capacitor is a start only capacitor so will likely go pop if used for an extended period of time. Normally start capacitors are disconnected as soon as the motor is up to speed but here it perhaps could be left connected if the running time is short.
This is a Permanent Split Capacitor or PSC motor. The capacitor is always connected across the "run" and "start" windings, which are identical in construction and share a common connection (the white wire); power is applied between the white wire and either (but not both!) of the of the windings. Which one determines the direction of motor rotation.

The smallest grain grinder that I have seen needed a 30HP drive.
Gee, you are talking about a real grain grinder, like to which a farmer would take the grain crop to be processed. This is a project is for small quantities you might grind to make, say, a loaf of bread or a pan full of muffins. Hence my suggestion to purchase a Vitamix, which is available with a dry "milling" blade container, used in lieu of the usual wet blade container that is commonly used for making "smoothies".

There must be at least 3 wires to the motor capasitor combination to get two directions.
There are three wires going to the motor: white, red and blue.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
30HP might be a bit much for this.:rolleyes:Screenshot_2016-01-25-16-15-29-1.png

Good explanation about the motor Hop.

It goes well with that motor sketch in post 11.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Seriously though, it's critical that you add an inline fuse for overload protection.
I don't see one in the picture.
But with the OP's design paradigm, a fuse would prevent the motor from obtaining maximum smoke and perhaps spectacular combustion. The proposed design could benefit from an unenclosed BA knife switch, IMHO. The exposed knife-switch terminals with #4 welding cables attached (minimum size for maximum smoke) add a certain allure to the garage-shop ambiance.:cool: With proper choice of insulation, the #4 wires can be salvaged later, perhaps for use with a real welder.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
..exposed knife-switch terminals with #4 welding cables attached (minimum size for maximum smoke)

You call #4 minimum size?
I would think you'd recommend #28 for maximum smoke.

Disclaimer; Kids, don't try this at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.