Connect with us

GameBoy Pocket

Discussion in 'Electronics Homework Help' started by michiel, Apr 16, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. michiel

michiel

Apr 16, 2014
    hello
    for school i need to discuss all the parts of the motherboard of a gameboy pocket. That's exteemly hard to find so i hope that someone can help me to name the parts [​IMG] thanks a lot, i really appreciate it
    03.jpg

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Tell us the bits you can already identify.

Perhaps tell us if you have any guesses about other parts.

3. michiel

michiel

Apr 16, 2014
    i can recognize the speaker, the nintendo CPU, the battery connector, the "game recognizer", the display connector, the USB import, the volume and brightness and the power switch :)
    But i need the correct names and the small parts like in the bottom-right-corner and the parts next to the cpu :)
    thx a lot :)

4. Thedarkb123

Thedarkb123

Apr 15, 2014
    They're just smd resistors and capacitors if I see it right (which I probably don't).
    and besides there easy to recognize. those three pin packages look like resonators to me.

Edit: The correct name for the game recognizer is the cartridge slot. also that socket isn't a "USB Import" it's a link port for multiplayer. The volume and brightness are both potentiometers. Those other chips are called Integrated circuits. The small one is probably ROM (read only memory) and the other one is RAM (random access memory). You were right about the CPU. Also those tin can looking things are called capacitors and they store small amounts of electricity and release it so that the gameboy doen't glitch or switch off at the slightest momentary voltage drop. also those three pin packages (on closer inspection) are probably surface mount power transistors. But I can't really tell.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  5. michiel

michiel

Apr 16, 2014
    Thanks a lot thedarkb123, you helped me a lot :) of you know more you may say it :) thanks i really appreciate it :)

6. Thedarkb123

Thedarkb123

Apr 15, 2014
    No problem :) I still have three years to go until i have to do that kind stuff at school.

7. michiel

michiel

Apr 16, 2014
    one more question ;p this is the front side and i need to know what the thing is in the left bottom corner ;p hi.jpg

8. kpatz

kpatz

Feb 24, 2014
    Does that say DC/DC to the left of that little board on the bottom left corner, next to where it says "U5"?

It's probably a DC/DC converter, also known as a boost converter. It converts the ~3V coming from the AA batteries to a higher voltage to power the gameboy.

The round thing at the bottom right is the speaker, but you probably already knew that.

9. Thedarkb123

Thedarkb123

Apr 15, 2014
    It's amazing to see everything labeled! You don't see that on a PSP.

10. michiel

michiel

Apr 16, 2014
    yes it's DC/DC thank you!!

11. michiel

michiel

Apr 16, 2014
    Does one of you guys know something about the nintendo CPU? i searched on the internet but i found nothing :s

12. Thedarkb123

Thedarkb123

Apr 15, 2014
    Contrary to popular belief the nintendo CPU is a Sharp knock-off of the Intel 8080. There are 12 extra instructions ripped off from the zilog z80. Most sources say it's a Sharp zilog z80 however it's an intel 8080 with 12 extra instructions not a z80 missing 120 functions.

If you could tell me what's written on the chip it would help as I've only ever fixed original gameboys, gameboy colors and one gameboy micro, They all had a similar chip but the Micro had a different one. I never saw a gameboy pocket in person.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  13. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    My information is that the Nintendo 64 (at least) uses an NEC VR4300 chip which is apparently based on MIPS not the Intel architecture.

This suggests they are somewhat different.

14. michiel

michiel

Apr 16, 2014
    this is a photo of the cpu and the other chips, i also don't know what the orther chips are... thanks for all the help 20140318_083320.jpg

15. Thedarkb123

Thedarkb123

Apr 15, 2014
    Yup that's the classic 8080 rip off; The Nintendo 64 had an entirely different architecture to the gameboy.
    About those other chips, the one on the bottom left is the RAM, could you write down what it says on the other ones and tell us?

16. michiel

michiel

Apr 16, 2014
    top left chip: DMG REG
    i think the one in the middle of the left side is the chip for the sound...
    bottom right:AMP MGB

17. Thedarkb123

Thedarkb123

Apr 15, 2014
    DMG REG controls the screen, fun fact: In development the gameboy was called the dot matrix game or DMG.
    And I think the other chip is sound.

18. michiel

michiel

Apr 16, 2014
    and what is AMP MGB?

19. Thedarkb123

Thedarkb123

Apr 15, 2014
    I think it's sound.

20. kpatz

kpatz

Feb 24, 2014
    The rectangular part to the left of the CPU chip (with the 4.1943 markings) is either a crystal or resonator that clocks (controls the speed/timing) of the CPU.

Ask a Question