Connect with us

Game Boy Advance SP Motherboard Question

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by oknowimrdy, May 15, 2020.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. oknowimrdy

oknowimrdy

May 15, 2020
    Hi, I accidentally damaged the section highlighted in red on my Game Boy Advance SP Motherboard (The picture is different than my motherboard, I know there is usually a black chip where the agb-sram words are). I damaged one of the gold/copper colored pieces when replacing the volume slider and now when I turn the system on, just the backlight comes on and it doesn't do anything else, no volume, no game boy logo. Is the Game Boy still repairable? What is the gold/copper colored pieces function?

Thanks,
    Kyle.

Attached Files:

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    These loozk like optional pads for an SRAM in a smaller case.
    At least with respect to these contacts: yes, with some dexterity. Solder thin wire across the broken traces as indicated (examples) by the orange lines:
    upload_2020-5-15_8-30-40.png
    You may have to scape away some of the soldre stop (green coating) to be able to solder the wire to the underlying copper trace.

3. Martaine2005

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
    The gold bits are connections. They look ok. However, the soldering bottom right in your photo looks dodgey!.
    Make sure the solder has not bridged another connection. Use a magnifying glass.

Martin

4. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Basically correct, but:

5. Martaine2005

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
    My bad.
    Teach me for typing while bumped around on a bus!.
    Ignore what I said and follow @Harald Kapp ’s instructions.

Ask a Question