Connect with us

Fuses, fuses...

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Pharaday, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Pharaday

Pharaday

Jan 18, 2016
    Ok, so I need to replace a fuse in an amp. The original fuse was 250V 500mA. I have a bunch of fuses but none that exact value. Am I correct to make an ass out of you and me that I can use fuses with higher values but not lower? How does that work? For instance, I have a 250V 1.6A fuse. Can I use this in place of a 250V 0.5A fuse?

Thanks in advance!

2. Sunnysky

Sunnysky

Jul 15, 2016
    At the risk of more damage in case of a speaker short, yes

davenn likes this.
  3. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    As well as the Type, Fast-blo, Slo-blo etc, there a several different characteristics to fuses.
    M.

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009

............ or any other high current fault

5. Pharaday

Pharaday

Jan 18, 2016
    No, No, I need to be at the risk of nothing. So, you guys are saying I must get a fuse with the exact same values as my old or I run the risk of damage? I will accept yalls word as law.

6. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    yes, exactly :)

pretty close ;) .... but it's simple maths .... a higher current rated fuse will let a higher current pass before it pops

Dave

7. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    If you have the old fuse, it should have some markings which indicate the speed (other things are listed but you already know them). If unspecified, use a "fast" fuse. These are the typical fuses you find. The other common type is slow -- they generally have some sort of spring inside them.

8. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    Three simple things you need to know about fuses: (1) Fuses DO NOT PROTECT EQUIPMENT. (2) Fuses PROTECT WIRES. (3) NEVER replace a fuse with GREATER CURRENT rating than the original fuse. It's okay to use a fuse with a lower current rating, but it may blow. Fuses blow to protect the wiring from overheating because of FAULTS like short-circuits that result in melting wiring insulation and starting a fire when a FAULT occurs. Locate and repair the FAULT before replacing successive fuses. It's okay to replace a fuse the FIRST TIME it blows. Maybe it "wore out" or there was a power-line surge or the phase of the moon was wrong... BUT if the replacement fuse blows soon after it is installed SOMETHING IS WRONG! Find and fix the fault condition before replacing any more fuses.

Arouse1973 and (*steve*) like this.
Ask a Question