Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Function Generator

Number

Jun 9, 2013
I didn't use pots for the first round, I instead used a calculator to get a certain value for the frequency & duty cycle. Either way it worked.

I also chose to use fixed values because I found the R1/2 and the D1/2 section to be difficult (I was enjoying some wine with the wife, so a bit tipsy) and I just worked around it. Somehow when I was going to connect all the stuff from pin 3 to pin 2/6 it just came out on the breadboard looking a little different. I am still relatively new to this so bumps in the road are expected.

Number

Jun 9, 2013
Ok this is probably my final post on this thread, as I have found a schematic (below) that I really liked and got the results that fit my exact needs and wants. There is no Author listed on the schematic but the source is "DIY KIT 111" in October of 1998 it appears. What i enjoyed about the schematic is it gives 6 different frequencies (in powers of 10) to use, 1Hz - 100Khz. It also has a 50-54% duty cycle, it is dependent on how exact the capacitors and resistors are. Personally I substituted the 3.9K resistor for a 4.7K because it was closer in magnitude to 3.9K that I had on hand.

Thank you Kris & Steve, it was fun building this project despite how simple it is. I learned a great deal in making it and my expertise & knowledge of the 555 is much more robust now than before.

Again, I take no credit for the schematic as it was found via Google.

EDIT: Here is a link to the webpage hosting the schematic.

Ozitronics.com

Attachments

• Oscillator.pdf
    29.8 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Good one! I'm glad things are working for you. Remember we're still here to help if you run into any problems. Good luck!

CluQu

May 22, 2013
Good one! I'm glad things are working for you. Remember we're still here to help if you run into any problems. Good luck!

I have it on the board just prepping to solder it. Might get to it tonight or I might not. But I put a DIP switch going from pin 6 to the capacitors, allowing me to turn on whatever frequency I want to mess with, rather then build 6 different timers. I could do that, but I would rather not. I also left the resistors fixed at it gave me a very nice duty cycle, right around 50% so it's not to bad.

I'll also post the final product on this thread to show other people how to do it.:D

Number

Jun 9, 2013
Here is the final product. Took a few days to get a video up, but nonetheless here it is. :) Thanks again for the help. :D

Video