Connect with us

[fun / hypothetical] CT scanner

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Solidus, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Solidus

Solidus

Jun 19, 2011
    Thought that needed saying.

Anyway, a few friends and I were having a laugh discussing medical scans (I am a chem / pre-med student), and it made me wonder if it would be theoretically possible to build such a device.

Seeing as X-ray generation is a challenge of the past, I got to thinking if it would be possible to build a CT scanner.

Thus, after much googling on the notion, I found this. If you were to mount that (combined with some sort of visible light filter) and an X-ray tube in a ring and spin it around an object, would you have a crude CT scan?

Again, I have no intention of doing this, as I have no lead or shielding capability to me and so trying to do this as is would be asking for lethal or sickening doses of X-rays. As I've heard of radiation accidents involving stuff along those lines (I used to have interests in nuclear physics), I intend to leave this to the professionals, but it would serve as interesting food for thought and some cool information to impress my friends ("Hey man, I could build a CT scanner if I wanted to...") haha.

Ask a Question