Connect with us

fuel sender

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by spoons, Nov 8, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. spoons

spoons

Nov 8, 2010
    hi,
    I'm in the process of exchanging fuel tanks on my ski-doo, however the fuel sender units are not the same.
    the manufacturer spec. for the ski-doo is 9.0 - 11.0 ohms empty and 81.0 - 99.0 ohms full and the fuel sender for the new tank has a range of 0 - 60,
    I've placed a random resistor on the positive lead which increased my high range from 60 to 87 which is good but it also increased my low range from 0 to 30.
    My obvious question is if there is a way of achieving the proper resistance for both, high and low.

thank-you.

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    There is no value resistor that will give you exactly what you need.

There are 2 simple (maybe) answers:

1) Can you fit the old sender to the new tank?

2) Presumably the main purpose of the fuel gauge is to show you when the tank is nearing empty. If you add an appropriate resistor (about 10 ohms) in series with the new sender then it should read empty at about the right point. Even when the tank is full it may not show full, but that is not a huge issue. It is also possible that there adjustments that can be made on the fuel gauge itself, especially considering the wide spread of voltages quoted for full and empty on the old unit.

3. spoons

spoons

Nov 8, 2010
    so if I understand correctly my sender has a 60 ohm range and theres nothing that can be done to change that,

however by adding resistance I can dial in my low ( empty ) range, my fuel gage might not show full but when the float starts to descend the gage should follow until the tank is empty, very insightful thank-you thats what I'm going to do.

would it be possible to install a variable resistor in this application?

btw. Swapping sender units is not an option, there not even similar.

thanks.

4. LTX71CM

LTX71CM

May 23, 2010
    Not that would be helpful. No matter how adjust it, your range will always be short.

You could opt for an "active" correction solution but I don't see an overwhelming reason to go with that approach. As (*steve*) mentioned knowing when the take is full is fairly obvious, you just filled it, knowing when you're about to become stranded is the circumstance to be concerned with.

5. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Yes that's right. You can use a low-resistance (22 ohms) potentiometer (variable resistor) to make the process of dialling in the "empty" position on the gage quick & easy.

6. spoons

spoons

Nov 8, 2010
    so here's what I did, installed the fuel sender and slowly added gas while keeping one eye on the multi-meter as soon as the reading increased I stopped adding fuel, I than installed my potentiometer and turned on the ignition, fortunatelly for me the needle was burried under the empty line so by increasing the resistance I was able to bring the needle flush, I than filled the tank with fuel and the needle went to full ...awsome.
    thanks to all..

7. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Heh, how fortunate can one be.. The gage's tolerances must have conspired in the right direction for you! :)

Ask a Question