Maker Pro
Maker Pro

FT232RL driver issue (?)

Mogyula

Jul 23, 2012
Hello!

I have a 18f66j55 pic set up with an ft232rl chip. I've never tried pic-programming nor any electronics-related work before, but I've managed to get this thing work, I could write, and receive data, light up LEDs from the PC, etc...
I was using Windows XP inside VMware player, as my ICD2 programmer doesn't have a 64-bit driver, so I found no way using it on Win7 x64.

So, my problem is, that while I was working on the PC program in XP (in Java, using the ftd2xxj library), at a point I kept getting "Device is closed." exceptions. So i decided to unplug, and then plug it in again.
After that, the host OS kept giving me "Device cannot be detected" (Using a localised version of windows, but it must be something like this) errors, and the device appeared in device manager as a malfunctioning "Unknown device". It didn't even appear in the host OS before.
Tried downloading 64bit D2xx drivers, but windows said that it was not compatible with that device.
Since a few hours ago, when i plug in the ftdi device, nothing happens. It doesn't show up in the device manager, neither get I any error messages, it's like I plugged in a wooden stick.

The strange part is, that I've been playing with the USB and the PIC for about a day before it stopped working.

The USB cable is OK.
Didn't touch the circuit, didn't even turn off the power supply.
Never touched the EEPROM of the ft232 chip.

Sorry that I over-explained it, sorry for my english, and also sorry if it's a PC-related issue.
I'm really looking forward for your answers :)

Gyula

Mogyula

Jul 23, 2012
Yes, I've rebooted it when the device appeared as "unknown", but nothing happened.
Also, nothing happens when I reboot since windows can't even see it.

Last edited:

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
You might have some luck if you go into the Device Manager and remove/delete the USB entry for that device and let it go through the install process again...

Mogyula

Jul 23, 2012
There's no entry. It's like I plug in a USB cable with the other end in the air. So, yeah, like I didn't plug in anything at all.

Mogyula

Jul 23, 2012
Well, I'm going to make a fresh install of windows XP on my laptop, and give it a try. If nothing happens there, then i'll take a look at the circuit.