Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Front Desk unit repair help

BuzzStPoint

Mar 20, 2011
I'm a Maintenance Mgr at a hotel. Currently we have one "Front Desk Unit" (it's what programs the key cards for the doors) When ever a door lock has issues I need this unit to reprogram the door lock. Normally borrowing the FDU from the desk isn't a problem. Except in the summer when it's busy. If I have the unit, nobody can get a card for a door.

A few years ago our unit when out. Ordered a new one. Now instead of borrowing the new one, I wanted to have my own, but being denied another FDU from the owners (around 700 bucks) I looked at the bad one.

I think there is a "fuse" that is bad. Not sure if it is a fuse or what it's called. Here's a few pics.

Here's the main unit.
PICT0001.jpg

Super close up of the circuit board.
PICT0008.jpg

In the picture above, I can plug the power supply. With my multi meter on the ground, I get around 9V on the top side of F1 but when I test the bottom side, I dont get a reading.
If I Ohm test this, I dont get a reading at all. I get the same results on D29 circuit but fail to see where that goes. Unless it goes in between the circuit board.

What would the D29 & F1 components be called so I can order them?

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
Yes, that's a fuse, T 1.5A (slow). You'll need to know the physical size (in tenths of mm's). For example, 1.8mm long x 1.2mm wide would be an 1812 size SMD fuse.
Why did it blow though? It could have been due to an incorrect power supply being tried at some time.
D29 doesn't look like a diode to me, more like a ceramic capacitor or something. Yes, it seems connected to an internal layer. Anyway I don't think that is damaged.

BuzzStPoint

Mar 20, 2011
This unit orginally started with the reader/writer. Would take a long time to make a key card. Something 20 swipes. So many years of pulling the power plug a short started in the cable end. We'd have to bend the wire a certain way to get power to it. One weekend it wouldn't come up so the desk staff cut the wires and twisted them together, Got it working for a short time then dead. I'm thinking either the wire ends touched or they got the polarity wrong. I've put a new plug end on the pack and now get voltage out of the pack correctly.

I'll borrow a caliper from my brothers to get the correct measurement of the fuse.