Connect with us

Fridge light

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by turbogt16v, Jul 18, 2018.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. turbogt16v

turbogt16v

Mar 27, 2015
    hy
    fridge light stop working, check the swich, its working fine.
    check the power on the light[40w] it starts good and instantly goes to zero when i measure it.
    any ideas

2. Tha fios agaibh

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
    I'm not sure what you mean by "starts good" but it sounds like a bad connection somewhere.
    Did you check switch under a load? Just testing with a ohm meter doesn't prove its ok.

davenn likes this.
  3. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    Try another bulb. Sometimes a filament will break in a way that is intermittent for a while before complete failure.

P.S. I understand that it's difficult to create or find a fitting avatar quickly but paint color chips? Really! :p

P.P.S. At least you put something there instead of leaving it blank as some do. Ignore my comment above about your avatar if paint chips are a special interest of yours and thus a perfect avatar somehow. ;)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  4. turbogt16v

turbogt16v

Mar 27, 2015
    tried different bulb, tried measuring swich under load, the power goes up and like instant zero in 1sec when testing

5. Tha fios agaibh

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
    Take a look at the lamp socket. Sometimes a loose contact is enough for the light to go out.

I assume you've already tested for continuity looking for bad connections.

Provided you understand the risks and trust yourself to working on dangerous voltages:

Another thing you can try is putting a volt meter across points that should be making continuity. Example, put your volt meter across the two switch contacts that should be closed (normally closed) when the light should be on. If you read 230v (or whatever your line/mains voltage is) that is a sign that the switch isn't making properly. If you read 0v, either the switch is ok or you've got an open circuit elsewhere.
    You can do the same for a length of wire or anything else in the circuit you suspect may be bad (open circuit).

Edit: This technique requires that it is under load (meaning you have a good lamp installed)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
Ask a Question