Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Frequency speed controller??

mess

Oct 12, 2010
Hope this is the right section

I'm currently attempting to istall a set of digital dials into my car. I've got most of it wired up but i'm having the following problems:

Rev counter: Reads about 50% more than it should. I expected this due to the car being a 6 cylinder and the clocks coming out of a 4 cylinder

Speedo: Hooked up to the correct wire, when i'm doing 20, it's reading 15 on the clocks and when i'm doing 30 it reads 20.
I've asked this question on a car forum that i'm a member of and one of the members has pointed out that both the rev counter and the speedo will take their readings from the sensors and input to the clocks as a frequency

Is it possible to assemble a small piece of circuitry that would allow me to adjust the frequencies received from each item and either speed it up or slow it down till i get the correct ratio ?

I'm fairly new to electronics so please try and keep any advice in laymans terms:D

Any help or links to parts that i need would be gretaly appreciated

Last edited:

LTX71CM

May 23, 2010
Yes it's possible. Google "divide by n schematic". Not only will accuracy be affected by the differing number of cylinders (and expected input, varying voltage vs timing pulses) but your speedo needs to be calibrated to your car's gear ratio and tire size.