Connect with us

Frequency generator and timer.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by grayscope, Aug 13, 2012.

1. grayscope

grayscope

Aug 12, 2012
    I am looking for some tips for how to construct a frequency generator with a push button that activates a timer, in which the frequency generator outputs a signal for 20 minutes. I have made a circuit around a 555 dip timer to generate square waves to audio output. This circuit has to be as small as possible and is low voltage ~3V. I recently bought what I thought was a 7555 CMOS chip as the frequency generator, however I received a CY22800 Universal programmable clock generator which has a different pin set up and seems more complex. Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    You have 2 circuits here, one is a timer, the other an oscillator.

If all you want is square waves (and absolute accuracy of frequency is not an issue), then there are many microcontrollers that could perform this function.

Doing it discretely, a 555 ias going to be a poor choice for a 20 minute monostable because 20 minutes is way too long to have a reliable RC timer. You should look at something employing a higher frequency and a divider.

If you're oscillator is going to be a 555, you need to check that the chip will operate from 3V. A standard 555 won't, but I'm not sure about the CMOS variants. (The datasheet will tell you)

3. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    As Steve suggested I would do this with a small micro, if you need more accuracy you could use a real time clock but the improvement will only be minimal as there won't be much drift to start with when using a micro...

4. grayscope

grayscope

Aug 12, 2012
    Frequency Generator and Timer Help

I am looking for any tips in component selection and circuit construction for a frequency generator, in which a button press will activate it for a designated period of time(~20 minutes). It will be low voltage ~3V and incorporate an amplifier like a tda7050 chip. I am familiar with the 555 dip timer to generate square wave frequencies. Would two 7555 CMOS chips work as the timer and frequency generator? I had ordered what I thought was a 7555 CMOS, but received a CY22800 programmable clock generator. Is anyone familiar with this chip and could it be used in my project? Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

5. CDRIVE

CDRIVE Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3

May 8, 2012
  6. grayscope

grayscope

Aug 12, 2012
    I provided additional detail for what I was asking in this thread. I thought this might be the more appropriate section in which to ask for help. I'm not ignoring anyone.

7. CDRIVE

CDRIVE Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3

May 8, 2012
    I don't see any additional information. Even if you did,.. you don't start a new thread every time you post additional information.

So, what do you think about the information Steve gave you?

8. grayscope

grayscope

Aug 12, 2012

9. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    So can you reveal the addition information? Feedback on what Steve and I suggested in the original thread? Or are you ignoring the answers given because it wasn't what you wanted to hear?

10. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    All 1 thread now, and you can see that you provided NO more information.

Also I'm giving you a little holiday for posting that youtube link.

edit: To satisfy people's curiosity I've undeleted the message.

It's pointless, and it's rude, and that's why...

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
Ask a Question