Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Free online textbooks and video lectures

Robert DuHamel

Nov 3, 2017
I am a semi-retired electronics instructor and I am in the process of putting my curriculum online for free. I think I have a unique and useful way of explaining electronics. People commenting on my YouTube channel seem to agree. Everything is free and is suitable for students who want to learn electronics from the ground up and for instructors who want to give their students an alternate point of view. You can find my text lessons at http://rsdacademy.net. My YouTube channel is https://youtube.com/channel/UCOausWDNRDJikQ11gSLj7nA

This is a work in progress but I have complete lessons in basic DC Circuits, AC Circuits and Solid State Devices. I am currently working on Analog Circuits. I hope people find these resources useful.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
This sounds good Robert. I might just take a peek :)
Adam

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
I watched your video on transistors which is ok ish. It would be worth pointing out about ESD precautions when touching semi conductor devices and that this is just a demonstration.
Thanks
Adam

Cannonball

May 6, 2017
Hello and Welcome.

What you are doing is a great undertaking. Many people can learn and profit from what you are doing. Electronics
is a very good field to be in. Old and young alike will appreciate this.

Robert DuHamel

Nov 3, 2017
Hello and Welcome.

What you are doing is a great undertaking. Many people can learn and profit from what you are doing. Electronics

Thank you. I appreciate that.

According to ETA International (aka the Electronics Technicians Association) there is a critical shortage of electronics technicians. The governor of New York recently declared an emergency because the operator of the subway system can't find enough qualified technicians to replace those who are retiring. ETA International is beginning a campaign to get people interested in becoming electronics technicians, but there aren't enough schools teaching electronics technology. Even if they can get people interested, there are few schools for them to learn at. I'm just trying to do my small part.

NMNeil

Oct 3, 2014
There's a nationwide shortage of auto technicians, truck drivers, nurses etc, and they all have one thing in common, they don't pay enough to attract potential workers.
When I was an auto technician employers thought that they are doing you a favor by offering $10 an hour for a 6 day 60 hour workweek with no benefits of any kind, and then couldn't understand why nobody would apply for the job.

Robert DuHamel

Nov 3, 2017
I watched your video on transistors which is ok ish. It would be worth pointing out about ESD precautions when touching semi conductor devices and that this is just a demonstration.
Thanks
Adam

Adam,

Thanks for the advice. I just don't want to overload beginners. When I get into MOS devices I will talk about ESD.

Robert DuHamel

Nov 3, 2017
Hello and Welcome.

Thanks. I appreciate the complement.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Adam,

Thanks for the advice. I just don't want to overload beginners. When I get into MOS devices I will talk about ESD.

Ok no probs, what you are doing is great, I wish I had this sort of thing when I was learning electronics. But as you know all components are susceptible to ESD damage, just thought I would mention it.
Cheers
Adam

LvW

Apr 12, 2014
Robert - are you interested in some critical comments to your lessons?

Example: I strongly disagree to your headline
The BJT as a Current-controlled Variable Resistor

For my opinion, this is a misleading (and false) statement.
In contrast, under certain operational conditions the FET can be used as a controlled (grounded) resistive element.
But this does not apply to the BJT.
In this case, the collector current should vary - according to Ohms law - in proportion to the collector-emitter voltage. But - as you certainly know - this is NOT the case.
A device acting as a (voltage) controlled current source does not behave like a resistive element.

For more than 25 years I also was a lecturer for analog electronics - and very often the students came to me and were asking: "I have heard that transistors can be used as externally controlled resistors - FET or BJT or both?".
(I suppress another example, because this subject was discussed also in this forum extensively: Is the BJT current-controlled? NO it is not!).

Last edited: