Connect with us

Frankensteining two welders together

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Ducem Barr, Oct 21, 2018.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Ducem Barr

Ducem Barr

Oct 21, 2018
    Hello dear internet folks!
    I'm rigging a drive motor that's a bit oversized for the cheaper harbor freight machine. The circuit that drives the 24v DC motor produces only 22v that's not enough particularly when I add the gas magnetic valve. My all purpose power supply makes the motor happy with 0.65A and 25V , the gas valve pulls about 0.4A .
    I'm having hard times uploading pictures .
    It seems 24v AC coming in drives a big 220v contactor that switches the power to the main transformer, some of that 220v gets down to 24dc by a rectifier? 892h-1ch-c no7/nc5A. Wich drives the motor. The speed I'm guessing is changed by a triac jrf730 and potentiometer B470k there's a tiny IC I can't make out the numbers of and some capacitors and passives I don't think matter but IDK I'm a noob:/
    Any help much appreciated! !!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  2. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    Pictures? Schematics? Your description makes no sense without them.

3. Ducem Barr

Ducem Barr

Oct 21, 2018
    I
    I know sorry, I could not get any pictures uploaded, just updated the post

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009

use the upload button at the bottom right of your message box when typing a message

keep files to 100kb or less and 1024 x 768 pixels or less

5. Ducem Barr

Ducem Barr

Oct 21, 2018
    Thank you, I got one picture up and now it tells me my "activities are spam like" :/
    I guess I'll update once I get home on a computer

6. Ducem Barr

Ducem Barr

Oct 21, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2018
  7. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    Nope - that's a relay.

A wider view of the board would help - better still a full schematic.

8. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    It's quite common to drive the wire feed motor using a simple triac circuit - often driven by the ubiquitous 555 timer device (IC) but sometimes the pulses are generated using a quad pack op-amp/comparator like the LM324.

If you're driving a larger wire feed motor the supply CURRENT has to be up to the job. Since the welder takes an AC input you could add your own power pack that was suitably rated - I'm sure there's space for it!

Ask a Question