Connect with us

FP 54 amplifier

Discussion in 'Electronic Design' started by Allan Adler, Aug 22, 2003.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Allan Adler

    Allan Adler Guest

    On p.348 of Ramsey's book, Molecular Beams, he mentions something called
    a FP 54 amplifier. What is that? If it has gone the way of the dinosaur,
    what would be a modern replacement?

    Allan Adler

    * *
    * Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT Artificial *
    * Intelligence Lab. My actions and comments do not reflect *
    * in any way on MIT. Moreover, I am nowhere near the Boston *
    * metropolitan area. *
    * *
  2. Phil Hobbs

    Phil Hobbs Guest

    The FP-54 was an electrometer tube from the 1930s. You're using this for a Langmuir
    probe or something like that, are you?

    If so, then depending on the sensitivity you need, you can use a CMOS op amp with a
    back-to-back parallel pair of diode-connected bipolar transistors in the feedback
    loop where the resistor usually lives, and connect the probe to the summing junction
    through a biggish resistor (not big enough to drop more than 100 mV at your design
    current, but big enough to protect the amplifier input. This will give you a
    logarithmic output. There are more accurate ways of doing it, if you have money to
    spend or a circuits guy available to help.


    Phil Hobbs
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day