Maker Pro
Maker Pro

ForkLift Gokart

LightShow

Jun 9, 2016
Hey all!

I am currently working on a new project which is going to be a gokart powered by 2 12v battery's and a forklift motor.
he motor runs at 12-24v and was pulled off of an old forklift at the junkyard (the motor does work!). currently i have mounted the motor in a bracket attached to the frame securely and modified the chain to keep tension on the motors gear to prevent sliping. the only problem now is putting it into practice. applying 12v to the motor does move the kart so i know it would work, my problem is that im not sure what the best way to implement everything including a fake handbrake (The motor has wires which when shorted cut the motors power and stop it). So what is the best way to implement all this it would also be nice to include a keybarrel or maybe a killswitch. let me know what you come up with

LightShow :)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Lets see if we can summon him... @Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Hahaha, why am I the one to be summoned? xD

Thinking of different ways to short the motor terminals together, I want to say relay... but am unsure what kind of current to expect.

It would be a double-throw relay that would be triggered (or released) by pulling the fake hand-break.

If you are wanting to figure out the 'entire' setup, and not just the break, then we absolutely need more details.
What is the current draw of the motor? (I'm assuming it's a DC rushed motor, and simply has two terminals... + and -)
I'm willing to bet you want speed control as well... or is it going to be an all or nothing type of go-kart?

You can build a DC motor controller from scratch, but honestly, the prices are great on pre-made and you can avoid the difficulty of having to worry about the high current components and switching times (or heat dissipation) if someone has done the work for you and is willing to sell for less than or equal to the sum of the parts you would buy yourself.

LightShow

Jun 9, 2016

Thinking of different ways to short the motor terminals together, I want to say relay... but am unsure what kind of current to expect.

It would be a double-throw relay that would be triggered (or released) by pulling the fake hand-break.

If you are wanting to figure out the 'entire' setup, and not just the break, then we absolutely need more details.
What is the current draw of the motor? (I'm assuming it's a DC rushed motor, and simply has two terminals... + and -)
I'm willing to bet you want speed control as well... or is it going to be an all or nothing type of go-kart?

You can build a DC motor controller from scratch, but honestly, the prices are great on pre-made and you can avoid the difficulty of having to worry about the high current components and switching times (or heat dissipation) if someone has done the work for you and is willing to sell for less than or equal to the sum of the parts you would buy yourself.

Yes It MUST have speed control. the handbrake is not a must but it would be nice IT also must be reversible.

I also just found out that the motor came off a mobility scooter (My friend Picked out the motor lol)

currently im not able to "access" the motor as it is being stored at a friends place but from what i remember its 40A 12-24v DC Brushless (i Think)

LightShow

Jun 9, 2016

what controller would you suggest? i dont really want to build one.
it needs to have
- an on/off switch
- 12 to 24v input
- speed control
- reversable
- preferably in a case
- good quality :D
- over 40A output

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
You need to find out what sort of motor it is.

It is unlikely to be BLDC if it turns when you connect 12V to it.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
what controller would you suggest? i dont really want to build one.
it needs to have
- an on/off switch
- 12 to 24v input
- speed control
- reversable
- preferably in a case
- good quality :D
- over 40A output
I'm guessing... but this is my first suggestion : http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-50V-100A...ntroller-PWM-Control-Soft-Start-/301812872159

This operates on the assumption that your motor has two contacts for power, and is a Brushed DC motor.
Brushless typically have 3 (or it is based on my current understanding.)
This also operated on the assumption that the inrush current to start the motor is less than 100A which may not be the case... if this is the case, you will need to take care in not being too aggressive with accelerating with the gokart... which doesnt sound fun does it? It was suggested in a similar topic to measure the resistance from the two terminals on the motor to get a worst case scenario current draw... and size the DC motor controller based on that. When the motor is stalled, or first begins to move, it will draw a lot more current than you may expect.

LightShow

Jun 9, 2016
I'm guessing... but this is my first suggestion : http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-50V-100A...ntroller-PWM-Control-Soft-Start-/301812872159

This operates on the assumption that your motor has two contacts for power, and is a Brushed DC motor.
This also operated on the assumption that the inrush current to start the motor is less than 100A which may not be the case... if this is the case, you will need to take care in not being too aggressive with accelerating with the gokart... which doesnt sound fun does it? It was suggested in a similar topic to measure the resistance from the two terminals on the motor to get a worst case scenario current draw... and size the DC motor controller based on that. When the motor is stalled, or first begins to move, it will draw a lot more current than you may expect.

i will see if i can get a picture of the motor off my friend within the next few days or so.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Yeah, well that's critical information, so it would be best to find out.

LightShow

Jun 9, 2016

ALSO will be including this http://www.ebay.com/itm/12v-24v-36v...417256?hash=item4aed560428:g:IF0AAOSwPcVVqGCl

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
haha. I have no idea what the amperage is... the sticker is damaged and I can't find anything with the partial model# of the motor...
24V is right... but the current rating is very important.
How many wires out of that thing... I see a 'breaking' current which I'm not used to seeing.

LightShow

Jun 9, 2016
haha. I have no idea what the amperage is... the sticker is damaged and I can't find anything with the partial model# of the motor...
24V is right... but the current rating is very important.
How many wires out of that thing... I see a 'breaking' current which I'm not used to seeing.

i believe 6 wires but im not 100% sure

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
i believe 6 wires but im not 100% sure
kk. Would be good to know. 2 is common for a DC brushed motor.
3 is common for brushless. Both are driven completely differently!
there may be additional wires for a dedicated brake as well which would be kind of handy ;)

We need to identify those.

LightShow

Jun 9, 2016
there may be additional wires for a dedicated brake as well which would be kind of handy ;)

There are two main Thick wires which are negative and positive and the others a think are for brake and reverse

LightShow

Jun 9, 2016

I will try and get some better photos soon