Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Ford Flat-Pack Ignition Modules

Y2KEDDIE

Sep 23, 2012
I would like to build a test circuit for Ford flat Pack Ignition modules. The module has (2) pin terminals for input and a standard spark plug connector on the opposite end. The module grounds to chassis when bolted to the engine.

On a known "Good" Coil, I measure very low resistance across the pins, less than a few (.3 -1.0 ) ohms. The Secondary measures 5K-15K Ohms). I tried connecting a 12V battery across the pins and manually pulsing the coil. I did get a slight flicker with a neon bulb test lamp at the spark plug end to the ground connection, but I expected a whole lot more spark.

I even tried a TV Horz Output pulse from my Sencore Television Analyzer , with no measurable results. I believe the impedance too low.

I'm assuming the input is low-impedance, and low frequency (engine speed). Do you think I need a transistor switching circuit and a different pulse rate to test properly

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I'm guessing they are CDI coils not Kettering which is why your "12V test" did not work.
May have damaged the coils actually.
There are a few cdi ignitions around for model engines that should test your coil ok.
That is if it is just a coil , not something with additional internal circuitry.

Y2KEDDIE

Sep 23, 2012
These are ACE Super Coil #140033, used in 2004- 2008 Ford 4.6L/ 5.4L Modular 3 valve Direct Fire. Ford tech manual says test with an Ohmmeter and doesn't specify lead polarity when testing, which leads me to think it's nothing more than a transformer. Windings are bobbins on a steel core. My specimen is a new coil and still works after my intial tests. I just would like to test it external from the engine and compare to "weak" or margianal coils.
Whether Kettering or CDI technology is used , it is the shape , polarity characteristics of the input waveform that should make it
work. Do you have an oscilloscope representation of an actual input?

Bluejets:"There are a few cdi ignitions around for model engines that should test your coil ok."
What, specifically, would you suggest