Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Force Sensing Circuit Design

krypton

Sep 1, 2016
Hi
Hoping I could get some help from some people with more experience in circuitry design. Won't be hard as I don't have much at all!!
I don't know if this is something you could help with, and no problem if not, but it could be really useful to me, so any help is certainly appreciated :)
I am involved in dog training, and one of the issues I have is knowing a dog is, or has been somewhere (a certain contact point) whilst either I am not there, or they are too far away, or moving too fast for me to see.
Let me give you an example, I'm training a sheepdog to move to a certain place, but from 800m away. I want to design a circuit that will show me that the dog has stood on the point I'm asking. So maybe a light will illuminate to show me.
The proviso's would be that it would need to be thin enough not to protrude too far out of the ground. I don't want the dog to notice it basically, otherwise it will be learning to target the contact sensor rather than just listening to commands.
I only need it to show contact. It doesn't need to show varying strength of contact, just on or off. Obviously need to reset it aswel, as I don't want to be trekking out 800m every time to have to do that if possible.
After a little research, I thought a way to do it would be to use a FSR. Mounting four of them on the concerned "contact area". One in each corner, with a small actuator above each of them. That should ensure the design is thin. So I could bury it under some soil with minimal fuss.
How would you go about setting up a circuit for this? The simpler the better, as I said, I am a beginner.
Thanks in advance for your help

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Put a GPS on the dog's collar and check its position from your phone.

krypton

Sep 1, 2016
Not accurate enough. I need to actually know the dogs foot/feet have touched the contact